RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Best A4 Inkjet for Proofing

Old 04-15-2014, 05:05 AM
Patron

Re: Best A4 Inkjet for Proofing

I do not see any reason why you would not be able to get prints fit for purpose from one of the cheaper Canon printers e.g. the PIXMA MG7150. Six inks with optional high yield cartridges and a price of around £130.

No personal experience of this particular model but do have two Canon from lower down in the food chain and they are capable of producing pretty good match to what I get on screen. Downside ink costs (of course!) as to replace all cartridges at the same time is near to the cost of buying a new printer!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 AM

I've been through this too. I just don't really care for the lower end solutions. If you make enough off it, it's worth setting it up correctly and sending off reference prints with a job. I've had good luck with Eizo in terms of consistency.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
They're just for viewing while I work. To get a feel for how an image is going to look in print. I regularly soft proof on an Eizo and a Nec, but I want to see the images in paper and ink.

I just wanted to know if there is an A4 inkjet which will give me a fairly accurate idea of how the final image is going to print in a magazine.
How do you prep your files? An inket is capable of many more colors than is usually possible on a CMYK offset press. Paper types used can also add to the visual differences from one to the other.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
To get a feel for how an image is going to look in print. I regularly soft proof on an Eizo and a Nec, but I want to see the images in paper and ink.

I just wanted to know if there is an A4 inkjet which will give me a fairly accurate idea of how the final image is going to print in a magazine.
If you don't have a target for the final color, like a good CMYK profile for the print process to cross render, how can you 'proof' the images "accurately"? When you soft proof using the NEC/EIZO, you soft proof to what output?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2014, 02:45 PM

I think I might be getting in deeper than I bargained for I'm not a pre-press expert or a professional printer, so perhaps when I say I "proof" the images, I'm using that term far too loosely. What I mean is I view the image in the requested cmyk profile and at a brightness that is close to paper white. I'm only checking to see if there are any issues re. colour gamut and blacks/whites, and trying to get an aesthetic feel for how the image will come across.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I think I might be getting in deeper than I bargained for I'm not a pre-press expert or a professional printer, so perhaps when I say I "proof" the images, I'm using that term far too loosely. What I mean is I view the image in the requested cmyk profile and at a brightness that is close to paper white. I'm only checking to see if there are any issues re. colour gamut and blacks/whites, and trying to get an aesthetic feel for how the image will come across.
But you do have that CMYK profile? If so you're fine. You can proof on an Epson or similar, the gamut being larger isn't an issue. You'll cross render. That is, convert from working space RGB to final CMYK output. That's where you need the output profile for the printing process! Then you can convert to Epson RGB using the Absolute Colorimetric intent to attempt to match CMYK Paper white onto Epson Paper white (trim non printable area). IF the profiles are good, you'll get a pretty good print simulation but again, the key is having the proper profiles for both the CMYK and Epson output process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2014, 06:24 AM

Though i'd chip in as I had similar intent a few months ago. I bought an epson 2880 and some proofing paper and ordered a few custom paper profiles just with tthe intent of checking proofs occasionally for personal use. However, i havent touched it since the first few prints as the costs of ink really do add up and my eizo simulates the conversion well enough for my needs. For a freelancer with a small client list it doesnt make sense for me and if a client needs a proof I would just hand over the rgb files and direct them to the nearest printer.
Saying that, a newer printer with larger capacity ink carts may be worth a go, the 2880's do not last long at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 AM

I wouldn't buy a printer unless I was determined to sell prints. That is a lucrative side market to retouching and photography, if you cultivate a market and get it down to automatic with custom profiles and consistent calibration. Otherwise, a printer is an expensive hassle, that needs somewhat constant attention, or it will die.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM

The 3880 ink cart's are significantly larger than the 2880. You'd have to make hundreds of proofs before you'd need to replace them. And if you have to make more than one proof per page of images (go ahead, gang them up), you're doing something wrong in terms of color management for printing or proofing. Keep in mind too, the cost of the printer is nearly free (the first set of cartridges is about what the printer costs). Maintenance is nearly zero with the 3880, never clogs unlike my 4900, built like a tank.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2014, 04:21 AM

proofs are the thing that lead to the big $$$$$$ If your client sees a SHIT looking proof, do you really this they will spend the money on the high$$$ final image? What ever printer you choose just make sure it uses a minimum of 8 inks to offer the widest colour gamut.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow