RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Best A4 Inkjet for Proofing

Old 04-21-2014, 05:05 AM

Re: Best A4 Inkjet for Proofing

For better or worse I've purchased a Canon Pixma iP8750. It doesn't use any supplementary colours beyond CMY, which I feel will be more realistic in trying to simulate press output. Now I need to do my homework and try to make sense of it all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2014, 03:32 PM

I did some proofs using Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi gloss. The ink simulation seems to be very close but the paper is brilliant white. I want to simulate standard commercial press coated stock. Can anyone advise me as to which paper would be best for this purpose, and compatible with the Canon iP875? Also I'm seeking advice re. loading the appropriate colour profile.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
I did some proofs using Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi gloss. The ink simulation seems to be very close but the paper is brilliant white. I want to simulate standard commercial press coated stock. Can anyone advise me as to which paper would be best for this purpose, and compatible with the Canon iP875? Also I'm seeking advice re. loading the appropriate colour profile.
Did you use an Absolute Colorimetric intent to simulate the original paper onto the proof? You should see it being darker and you'd have to trim off the whiter, non printable area before viewing a proper simulation.
There are a number of paper's for ink jet proofing based on more common paper stocks. Dupont/Epson have a proofing paper based on "commercial stock" for example.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...seBVCookie=yes
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2014, 04:10 PM

I tried it in Absolute and Relative Colorimetric settings. I got the impression that Absolute looked too dark, but I haven't done any strict comparisons yet. If I purchase the Epson Standard Proofing Paper (205) will I be able to download a colour profile which is compatible with the Canon iP8750, or will I need to get someone to make it for me?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
I tried it in Absolute and Relative Colorimetric settings. I got the impression that Absolute looked too dark, but I haven't done any strict comparisons yet. If I purchase the Epson Standard Proofing Paper (205) will I be able to download a colour profile which is compatible with the Canon iP8750, or will I need to get someone to make it for me?
I always use a RIP, so I'm not familiar with this workflow. I just want to mention that anytime you're matching a proof to screen, the light you're using to view the proof matters. If it looks too dark, that can also be an issue of setting your display too bright, although I haven't examined the results of that workflow. You will still need to look for potential clipping prior to converting to cmyk. Also you can ignore perceptual for the most part, as most of the typical RGB profiles are matrix based.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2014, 05:07 PM

There should be zero difference between Absolute and Relative Colorimetric expect paper white simulation. They share the same table in the profile. Again, Abs is for proofing where you want paper simulation. Other than that, the two are identical.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2014, 05:50 AM

You wont be able to download more advanced profiles for consumer printers, for proofing papers there are only profiles for the pro range of printers. If you google 'custom printer profiles uk' you can order a profile for a reasonable fee.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
There should be zero difference between Absolute and Relative Colorimetric expect paper white simulation. They share the same table in the profile. Again, Abs is for proofing where you want paper simulation. Other than that, the two are identical.
Many years ago we tried Absolute unsuccessfully based on the same logic.
We never delved deeper into it because we got better results using Relative.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoku View Post
Many years ago we tried Absolute unsuccessfully based on the same logic.
We never delved deeper into it because we got better results using Relative.
It isn't logic, it's how the profiles actually work. There's zero difference converting to Absolute vs. RelCol expect the white. Absolute Colorimetric's sole purpose is for proofing! To do that correctly, you have to control (simulate) paper white. If you're not proofing, you'd never use Absolute Colorimetric.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
It isn't logic, it's how the profiles actually work. There's zero difference converting to Absolute vs. RelCol expect the white. Absolute Colorimetric's sole purpose is for proofing! To do that correctly, you have to control (simulate) paper white. If you're not proofing, you'd never use Absolute Colorimetric.
We were proofing, using an Epson 7100. Relative worked better for our needs.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow