RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Matte vs Glossy

View Poll Results: Matte or Glossy?
Matte 43 32.58%
Glossy 23 17.42%
It depends 66 50.00%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2002, 08:23 AM

Matte vs Glossy

Many of the online printing sites that offer matte say that it will take an extra week. I have inquired and they say it is because most customers prefer glossy and there isn't much demand for matte, therefore they only change paper and print matte once a week.

Does anyone know of a photo print shop (upload and order online) that is cheap *and* prints matte more than once or twice a week?

The initial poll is asking if most of you prefer glossy or matte prints.

Last edited by chiquitita; 09-16-2002 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 03:41 PM

I'm not sure what you're asking specifically in the poll you started however, here is a thread started by Jill who did some online printing tests for quality, speed, and pricing. You might find this interesting. I think there is another one also I will see if I can find for you.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 09:04 PM

Thanks DJ, I edited my post and tried to clarify, however I cannot edit the poll (it would be kind of nice if the original poll poster had that ability).

Old threads are great, and that one had some helpful information, but I am always interested in the latest developments. Online services are coming and going like crazy and the competition certainly makes each one improve upon what the others have developed.

Is it better to post a newer, more specific thread, or to post new messages to one that is almost a year old? I am not aware of the "rule of thumb" on this subject...

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 09:21 PM

Threads are never dead. If you have new updated info to an old thread then put it there or start a new one. I don't think there is any hard rules there. It would depend on the subject I guess and the posters judgement on where that info would best fit.

Now as to the poll, that clarifies it and is basically what I figured you meant but thought I should make sure first. Here's what I think. I used to love the look of the matte finish on photos so I ordered them alot. Then, I discovered what a nightmare they are when you scan them to repair. Now, I go glossy all the way. It makes sense when you're in our line of business.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 10:49 PM

I know the old matte finishes with lots of texture are a nightmare, but the matte finishes of the past few years are very fine - I guess you would call it satin - and I don't even see the texture no matter how far I zoom in when it is scanned. Also, there is less reflection in the scan so I find that they scan better.

Also, less fingerprints, more vivid color, and I find them slightly more durable, or maybe it just doesn't show the damage as much. Also restorations especially don't look right on glossy.

Just my opinon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 12:14 AM

I only use a satin (or lustre) finish on my restoration work. I've only had scan/texture problems when working with E surface, which has a deeper texture than satin.

I think my opinions on photo surfaces were formed from years of working at photo studios. I don't think I've ever seen a truly professional image on glossy surface (that I can recall), except for those done on Cibachrome. None of the studios I've worked for ever used glossy for anything except reproduction grade images to be sent to magazines or yearbooks. So I automatically equate matte with professional and glossy with amateur.

My own personal bias I suppose...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 10:03 AM

I have to agree. The difference in photos I have printed matte versus glossy is amazing. The glossy ones - especially restoration work of portraits - look like I have taken a picture of a picture - it looks unnatural to me. My matte prints turn out beautifully while the glossy ones always look blurry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 10:06 PM

Ouch! I consider myself professional after 30 some yrs and still use glossy. Backgroud is in industrial and commercial photography. If not 4x5 or 8x10 trans I always supply glossy. Much sharper image. For our portrait bus we use lustra because you do not want a tack sharp picture. Also its hard to copy proffs from lustra as we all know from trying to scan them.

Jakaleena, I still think you and your work are great though. Can't start an online romance though because I've been happily married for 30 some years. Boy rounding off the numbers on the low side sure makes them sound better.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Ouch! I consider myself professional after 30 some yrs and still use glossy. Backgroud is in industrial and commercial photography. If not 4x5 or 8x10 trans I always supply glossy. Much sharper image. For our portrait bus we use lustra
Well, maybe my bias to matte/lustre is because the studios I've worked for didn't do industrial/commercial work - only portraits & people, weddings, etc. I've never really worked with industrial/commercial stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2002, 03:11 PM

I wish I could get decent matte around here. All my local printers use a matte paper that is very rough and actually ruins the prints, one can see the roughness of the paper spoiling an otherwise smooth image.
Charles.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow