RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Importing Adobe RAW Color Issues

Old 02-16-2016, 11:45 PM

Question Importing Adobe RAW Color Issues

I'm having some trouble with colors. I'm shooting with a Nikon D810 with color space set to Adobe RGB and opening in Camera Raw 9.1.1 set to Adobe RGB 98. The files always seem desaturated in camera RAW when compared to the back of the camera and even the OS X Preview application. Please see image attached. If I shoot JPG everything matches. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks so much!

Here's an image:
http://oi63.tinypic.com/eja88l.jpg

Last edited by codeoverride; 02-17-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2016, 03:27 AM
Janitor

Re: Importing Adobe RAW Color Issues

See if this is helpful
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2016, 04:07 AM
Patron

Setting the camera to Adobe RGB is not really relevant when shooting raw. The camera LCD will not be able to display anything that exceeds sRGB, if that!

Therefore there is a disconnect between the LCD camera screen and monitor when processing in Adobe camera raw.

All this assumes that you are working with a display capable of Adobe RGB and that the monitor has been calibrated and the resulting profile is being used by the OS
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2016, 08:34 AM

Question Re: Importing Adobe RAW Color Issues

I understand that when shooting RAW, it doesn't matter if the camera is set to Adobe RGB or sRGB because it won't get converted until I select the option in RAW converter. Right?

But if I shoot a JPG image and a RAW image, the JPG is more true to life and has more saturation, like the sample that I posted.

BTW, I'm using one of the newer iMacs so I assume the display is able to show Adobe RGB.

The display is calibrated using Spyder4Express profile.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Patron

The image you are seeing on your camera LCD cannot exceed sRGB and that image is a baked JPEG based on many factors including your camera settings.

For instance if you have selected Vivid, Standard or any other camera preset the JPEG will have those settings baked into the file.

The raw however will not, and it is expected that the raw may look quite different to the JPEG image or what you see on camera LCD screen.

The camera presets can be applied to the raw image by default in the old Nikon Capture NX2 and I assume the same is true for the new NX-D.

ACR and LR have an Adobe version of the Nikon Presets in the Camera section and from past experience they are pretty close to Nikons own.

So you may want to confirm your camera preset and set the same in ACR to get a similar look in the raw.

While I do own an old iMac I am really a PC guy so no idea of new Mac gamut
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2016, 09:38 AM

Thanks Tony. I am looking in the camera calibration tab but don't see presets other than "Process" which is set to 2012 (Current) and "Camera Profile" which is set to Adobe Standard.

I took another shot, this time as a TIFF and as a RAW file for comparison that you can see here: https://i.imgsafe.org/e788402.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Patron

You need to select the dropdown as shown in the attached. Adobe Standard is just the default from which you should be able to work.

Your camera will be set on one of these (or similar) and they are the result of Adobe efforts to mimic the look of the Nikon camera presets.

Check what preset you may have set in your camera menu and match it in the raw ACR menu.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACRCamera.jpg (91.6 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeoverride View Post
Thanks Tony. I am looking in the camera calibration tab but don't see presets other than "Process" which is set to 2012 (Current) and "Camera Profile" which is set to Adobe Standard.
Everything you thought you wanted to know about DNG camera profiles:
All about In this 30 minute video, we’ll look into the creation and use of DNG camera profiles in three raw converters. The video covers:

What are DNG camera profiles, how do they differ from ICC camera profiles.
Misconceptions about DNG camera profiles.
Just when, and why do you need to build custom DNG camera profiles?
How to build custom DNG camera profiles using the X-rite Passport software.
The role of various illuminants on camera sensors and DNG camera profiles.
Dual Illuminant DNG camera profiles.
Examples of usage of DNG camera profiles in Lightroom, ACR, and Iridient Developer.

Low Rez (YouTube):
http://youtu.be/_fikTm8XIt4

High Rez (download):
http://www.digitaldog.net/files/DNG%...le%20video.mov
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2016, 05:28 PM

It's your camera profile. Xrite colour checker should get you accurate results but as a quick fix try turning off camera profiles in camera raw and see if that gets you closer to what you think you're image should look like.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Everything you thought you wanted to know about DNG camera profiles
I am considering buying an old flagship camera like the 1Ds2 for the jpg out of camera is said to be really good and that would let me skip the raw conversion also.

A regular AdobeRGB jpeg from the 1Ds2 is ~11Mb while raw is ~15Mb; it seems like the jpeg is a 8 bit kind of raw!

I wonder if I lower contrast (-2) and saturation (-1) and set the sharpening to a reasonable amount (+4) on camera will I get a good starting point for post production in Photoshop?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow