RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Color Management Using Ipad ?

Old 10-05-2016, 01:15 AM

Color Management Using Ipad ?

Hello,

I am a commercial product photographer and we design packaging too. So checking actual colors in display as it would be printed is very important while shooting or designing. I have been researching on color management for some time now and have realised that MacBook with Retina Display or Displays like Eizo are the best monitors for color management. However, they are out of budget for me at the moment. So am looking for Ipad as the solution but I have query if someone can help me with.

1. Would Ipad serve my purpose. Would it display proper colors ?
2. Is it possible to calibrate an ipad like you would calibrate a macbook or other professional displays like Eizo?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Re: Color Management Using Ipad ?

The iPad Pro is color managed to some degree. It's using a wide gamut (DCI-P3) color space, similar in gamut size to Adobe RGB (1998) and it can switch to sRGB. But you can't calibrate and profile it (the X-rite free product is a joke). Frankly, I can't see why anyone would use an iPad instead of a decent MacBook Pro. Just getting files into the cloud then back and forth to get data moved around (Lightroom Mobile) is a sick workflow joke IMHO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2016, 12:48 PM

If you're a retoucher, just get a decent IPS monitor for a start, Dell had some nice ones, look up the reviews. Or if you own an iMac, that is good enough, too.

Ipad is not a retouching tool. Are you a retoucher, an editor, a client?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
If you're a retoucher, just get a decent IPS monitor for a start, Dell had some nice ones, look up the reviews. Or if you own an iMac, that is good enough, too.

Ipad is not a retouching tool. Are you a retoucher, an editor, a client?
Thanks skoobey,

Dell would be the best option for me as it would fall in my budget but the question now is if it would serve my purpose because I work with Brands as Packaging Designer that involves retouching images as well the whole packaging design, so it is very very important that I calibrate the monitor to be able to see the exact colors that would be printed in the printing press.

Would Dell actually suffice ? Can I calibrate it using the calibration devices like the ones from xrite or others. ?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow