RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 12-07-2016, 02:37 PM
John Wheeler's Avatar
John Wheeler John Wheeler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 577
Re: Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Hi Filip
You can check if you monitor profile is V4 or not with the Colorsync Utility.

Just go to System Preferences, go to Displays, click on the Color Button, select the desired Profile from the list, and then click on Open Profile.

The tags in the profile are listed out and make sure you select the Header Tag (may already be selected as it is typially the first tag at the top)

In the listing for this tag (about third down) there is the version number. If it begins with a 2 it is version 2 and if it begins with a 4 it is version 4 ICC profile. Having that information in advance of re-profiling may be useful.
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 12-07-2016, 08:06 PM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Hi Filip

On the subject of monitor profiling I believe that by default i1 DisplayPro produces v4 profiles and while you may pass the v4 tests there have been more than a few reports about issue with v4 that have been solved with v2.

I would therefore suggest that you recalibrate using v2 with i1Display - it just may help and in any case you will not be losing anything
You would check the software, not the device. i1 profiler, spectraview, colornavigator, and basicolor all support that device. Where did you get this idea?
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 12-07-2016, 11:27 PM
creativeretouch creativeretouch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 502
Re: Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
Hi Filip
You can check if you monitor profile is V4 or not with the Colorsync Utility.

Just go to System Preferences, go to Displays, click on the Color Button, select the desired Profile from the list, and then click on Open Profile.

The tags in the profile are listed out and make sure you select the Header Tag (may already be selected as it is typially the first tag at the top)

In the listing for this tag (about third down) there is the version number. If it begins with a 2 it is version 2 and if it begins with a 4 it is version 4 ICC profile. Having that information in advance of re-profiling may be useful.
Hi John,

yes, you are right - Specification Version 2.2.0

Regards, Filip
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 12-08-2016, 03:47 AM
Tony W's Avatar
Tony W Tony W is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,388
Re: Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
You would check the software, not the device. i1 profiler, spectraview, colornavigator, and basicolor all support that device. Where did you get this idea?
It should be evident to any pedant that the device and the software are intrinsically linked and useless on their own. So why not to you?

Further it is not unreasonable to expect in this case that the X-rite software was being used to calibrate and profile and that there was a possibility that said software was set to produce v4 profiles.

As it now seems that the profile produced is v2 do you actually have any useful information that may be of some real help to Fillip?
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 12-08-2016, 07:35 AM
John Wheeler's Avatar
John Wheeler John Wheeler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 577
Re: Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Hi Filip
Attached is a link to help check out what is going on with your system. Fairly long and detailed yet the author knows what they are talking about.

I would suggest trying out all the suggestions to see if this helps.

Also, since you are only having troubles with PS, it may not be a bad idea to reset preferences as on occasion, PS can bet stuck in a bad place and this sometimes fixes problems.

Hope this helps

http://www.gballard.net/psd/colorlooksbad.html
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 12-08-2016, 04:32 PM
creativeretouch creativeretouch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 502
Re: Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
Hi Filip
Attached is a link to help check out what is going on with your system. Fairly long and detailed yet the author knows what they are talking about.

I would suggest trying out all the suggestions to see if this helps.

Also, since you are only having troubles with PS, it may not be a bad idea to reset preferences as on occasion, PS can bet stuck in a bad place and this sometimes fixes problems.

Hope this helps

http://www.gballard.net/psd/colorlooksbad.html
Hi John,

thanks again - I will go through all these suggestions and I will let you know...

Regards, Filip
Reply With Quote top
  #17  
Old 12-08-2016, 05:24 PM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
It should be evident to any pedant that the device and the software are intrinsically linked and useless on their own. So why not to you?

Further it is not unreasonable to expect in this case that the X-rite software was being used to calibrate and profile and that there was a possibility that said software was set to produce v4 profiles.

As it now seems that the profile produced is v2 do you actually have any useful information that may be of some real help to Fillip?
Ugh. I can tell you really hate me, but the emphasized portion is still an unreasonable assumption. Devices are packaged with different software or sometimes used with software other than what they're packed with. Beyond that if you're looking for bugs, you check the software updates page. Edit: rewording this part, because it was uncalled for. I would personally avoid telling someone to look at low level details such as OS level stuff prior to checking for software bug reports and known issues. It's the first place I look, because operating systems, color management modules, and other low level things are really quite messy. I don't think it's fair to make assumptions regarding what software they use by choice of hardware. For example the i1 display pro is or was offered with spectraview in the US. It is compatible with color navigator. It works with basicolor. While i1 profiler has improved with time, I don't like to make the assumption that they must be using it and in case of suspected i1 profiler bugs, I would suggest checking x-rite's page for known issues before going any lower.

Last edited by klev; 12-08-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #18  
Old 12-09-2016, 03:36 AM
Tony W's Avatar
Tony W Tony W is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,388
Re: Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Ugh. I can tell you really hate me, but the emphasized portion is still an unreasonable assumption.
Really hate you, WTF is that supposed to be? A plea to other forum members for sympathy, or some other thing?

Let me be clear I do not hate you or anyone that is just a waste of my energy. But what I do hate is a response to my comments that is both incorrect and worse patronising as well as having no relevance to the thread.

I stand by what I said in my first reply - it is not an unreasonable assumption!! You should read the thread first before jumping in and shooting off.
What I said was 'device and the software are intrinsically linked' therefore any reasonable person would know that this fact applies regardless of software used. If you had read the thread you would have seen the post #8 by Filip
Quote:
I use Xrite i1 DisplayPro and El Capitan and DisplayCal software. I use one monitor only.
Quote:
Devices are packaged with different software or sometimes used with software other than what they're packed with. Beyond that if you're looking for bugs, you check the software updates page. Edit: rewording this part, because it was uncalled for. I would personally avoid telling someone to look at low level details such as OS level stuff prior to checking for software bug reports and known issues. It's the first place I look, because operating systems, color management modules, and other low level things are really quite messy. I don't think it's fair to make assumptions regarding what software they use by choice of hardware. For example the i1 display pro is or was offered with spectraview in the US. It is compatible with color navigator. It works with basicolor. While i1 profiler has improved with time, I don't like to make the assumption that they must be using it and in case of suspected i1 profiler bugs, I would suggest checking x-rite's page for known issues before going any lower.
This is just nonsense irrelevant to the thread and tbh trying to teach granny to suck eggs

Last edited by Tony W; 12-09-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top
  #19  
Old 12-09-2016, 11:05 AM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Really hate you, WTF is that supposed to be? A plea to other forum members for sympathy, or some other thing?
No. I'm quite direct. I respond to people directly, not to an audience. Stop coming up with bullshit.
Reply With Quote top
  #20  
Old 12-09-2016, 11:28 AM
Tony W's Avatar
Tony W Tony W is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,388
Re: Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
No. I'm quite direct. I respond to people directly, not to an audience. Stop coming up with bullshit.
Pot calling the kettle methinks. .

You seem so self absorbed that you even miss a potential chance for correction. If you note Filip's post he says DisplayCal software, well that happens to be a front end to Argyl CMS written I believe by Graeme Gill. Open source software which can drive and be driven by i1Display and others.

Now once again do you have any information relative to the problems experienced by the OP?
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RetouchPRO LIVE - Photoshop Experiments Doug Nelson RetouchPRO LIVE 1 08-29-2015 11:40 PM
Photoshop: photoshop cc 2015 bug? mantra Software 6 08-21-2015 03:50 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE - Lightroom via Photoshop Doug Nelson RetouchPRO LIVE 1 07-29-2015 12:16 PM
Need your thoughts on a touch Photoshop tool! EXOdreamcat Hardware 0 01-23-2012 02:49 PM
Latest set of Photoshop actions plugsnpixels Software 0 04-12-2011 09:50 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved