RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Old 12-06-2016, 03:45 PM

Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Hi guys,

I must admit I didn't do proper retouching for a while... But recently I discovered strange PS CC behaviour - I created B&W image in Lightroom and exported it with sRGB profile. In Photoshop, I see equal numbers for each channel, it means this image is OK. But I can see some color tones in shadows. if I open same image in Apple Preview or Affinity Designer I can see proper B&W image. (yes, I am on Mac). I re-calibrated my monitor one week ago.

My working space in PS is sRGB. So I assigned my monitor profile to this image and I can see proper B&W image as I see in other applications. But RGB numbers in channels are obviously not equal now.

Anyway, my monitor profile is listed as a very first among other profiles and it means PS should work correctly. But it looks like PS doesn't work with my monitor profile but with sRGB profile instead.

Any Ideas?

Regards, Filip
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2016, 06:17 PM

Re: Photoshop CC monitor profile bug?

Photoshop is going to work in sRGB because the file is in sRGB, and that's how it should be. You shouldn't try to save files with the assigned profile being the one specific to your monitor. Whatever your monitor calibration is, it only happens on top of the information PS is putting out, so you can pretty much work in any profile you want, the preview should be correct. Are you sure that your file's profile is assigned? Because, it could be the case of all the other programs defaulting back to sRGB, while the PS reads it as something else?

EDIT: What happens when you convert a merged version of your file to sRGB in Photoshop, does it show equal values in all channels? Does it look right on the monitor?

Last edited by skoobey; 12-06-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2016, 01:39 AM

If you are on Mac pls. follow these steps:

1. Open RAW image in Lightroom, convert it to B&W and export as sRGB
2. Open this new file in PS and other color managed applications
3. Check the numbers

Do you see proper B&W image without any color shifts in all applications?

Regards, Filip
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2016, 08:52 AM

Of course, if you check the embed color profile box when exporting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2016, 09:09 AM

Well, color profile is obviously included. Unfortunately I don't see proper B&W image in PS. In other applications - yes.

Regards, Filip
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Patron

Hi Filip,
I do not use PS on Mac but am PC based so if what you are seeing is a Mac issue only I do not know. I also do not have a clue about Apple Preview or Affinity Designer. So of course that is a great deal of help so far

But in case it helps just to throw a few ideas into the arena:

If you are seeing equal numbers for each channel as you mouse over the image then as you say the image data itself must be OK and correctly registering a true greyscale image from the RGB channels.

For the moment ignoring Apple Preview and Affinity (colour management unknown), as you are seeing some colour tone in the shadows and the CC Info pallette shows equal RGB numbers then this sounds like a display problem.

Best case scenario is a faulty monitor profile. As PS uses the icc profile that describes the monitors conditon to give a true('ish) representation of your image data on screen it seems feasible that if the profile was a little wacked that it could be trying to apply a correction where none is needed to the lower densities. Hence you seeing the info showing equal RGB meaning neutral while the compensation applied has moved the shadows away from neutral.

I would be tempted to try again with a new monitor profile and making sure I used v2 not v4 as v4 can cause issues

What happens to the image if you leave it with the sRGB profile directly out of LR but in PS change mode to greyscale ?

I would also check if you are on the latest Mac OS (El Capitan?) to see if there are any reported issues with colour management - I think I recall seeing something
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2016, 09:44 AM

Hi Filip

I do have a MacBook Pro and use LR and PS. I followed your instructions exactly and see no difference between what I see in LR, PS, and Preview on my screen.

That does not solve your problem yet it does show that it is not a generic mac issue.

Note that the file exported from LR in B&W does have all values of RGB equal.

However, also note as expected that if you take a screen shot where the sRGB has been converted to the display profile, the RGB numbers will almost certainly not be the same so as to create a perfect grayscale viewing experience per the most recent calibration.

What device are you using to calibrate your monitor? I use Xrite i1 display pro.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2016, 11:49 AM

Hi Tony & John,

You understand my troubles correctly. The grayscale image is almost identical with sRGB one.

I own two Macs now - Mac Mini late 2012 and I recently bought Mac Pro mid 2010. This issue is identical for both computers. Obviously I created independent profile for each one. I have PS 2017 on Mac Pro and latest version of PS 2015 on Mac Mini installed.

I use Xrite i1 DisplayPro and El Capitan and DisplayCal software. I use one monitor only. Perhaps I am doing something wrong while calibrating/profiling?

On Mac, you have ColorSync system app which manages all profiles. So the problem is with the profile itself or with Photoshop?

Regards, Filip

Edit: I successfully passed this test in Photoshop: http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

Last edited by creativeretouch; 12-07-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Patron

Hi Filip

On the subject of monitor profiling I believe that by default i1 DisplayPro produces v4 profiles and while you may pass the v4 tests there have been more than a few reports about issue with v4 that have been solved with v2.

I would therefore suggest that you recalibrate using v2 with i1Display - it just may help and in any case you will not be losing anything
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Hi Filip

On the subject of monitor profiling I believe that by default i1 DisplayPro produces v4 profiles and while you may pass the v4 tests there have been more than a few reports about issue with v4 that have been solved with v2.

I would therefore suggest that you recalibrate using v2 with i1Display - it just may help and in any case you will not be losing anything
Hi Tony,

thanks - I will try to recalibrate in few days time as I am pretty busy now =) and I will let you know...

Regards, Filip
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow