RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

HEX value colorshift TIFF to JPEG

Old 01-21-2017, 07:14 AM

Re: HEX value colorshift TIFF to JPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorShift View Post
Thanks for your reply! My client's webpage is designed with the specific HEX value where the images I am delivering live side by side. They have flagged the issue after images were populated into their layout. Each image's bounding box is quite visible against the webpage HEX value.

My work around thought was to test delivering .pngs with transparency to avoid the need for HEX accuracy with the jpegs.
The client is King so I now understand you issue. I think you have a good workaround. I will poke around and see if there is another easily accessible JPEG converter that will do a better job.

Do you use a Windows or Mac machine? Not all options are supported on both.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
The client is King so I now understand you issue. I think you have a good workaround. I will poke around and see if there is another easily accessible JPEG converter that will do a better job.

Do you use a Windows or Mac machine? Not all options are supported on both.
No luck with other JPEG options. IrfanView had the least compression including an option to avoid subsampling yet found out that even with the option checked, the chroma channels still had sub-sampling applied. I concluded other workarounds would be better at this point such as your approach with PNGs.

However, another option if you client accepts them is a JPEG with a Clipping Path. That is a very common way to have a JPEG file with an effective embedded mask (its actually a Vector Path) so the image overlays with whatever the background is on the web page. Clipping paths are supported in Photoshop so thought I would mention this option.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 AM

I'm in total agreement with John. Examine the Lab values; that's what counts. You're probably seeing differences in RGB values due to rounding errors from creating the JPEG. What counts is the Lab values or, viewing the original and new JPEG in a color managed app like Photoshop and confirming they both show the same color appearance.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow