RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

HEX value colorshift TIFF to JPEG

Old 01-20-2017, 09:15 AM

Question HEX value colorshift TIFF to JPEG

Looking for assistance with a color shift when saving TIFF to JPEG.

Photoshop color space is sRGB. Document is a TIFF sRGB 500px by 500px with a background fill: d8d4d9. When saving a jpeg, the color shifts to d9d4da when I reopen the file in Photoshop. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere to preserve the exact HEX value?

Settings when saving the JPEG: Quality 12 Maximum, Format Options: Baseline ("Standard").

Last edited by ColorShift; 01-20-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2017, 01:11 PM

Re: HEX value colorshift TIFF to JPEG

Created a tif file, filled with HEX color, and saved as jpeg.

No Changes to color.

Are you doing anything else besides saving to jpeg?

What color settings are you using?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the reply Shoku.

Did you open the jpeg that was saved and confirmed the HEX color in the file did not shift after opening in Photoshop?

I am using sRGB color setting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorShift View Post

Did you open the jpeg that was saved and confirmed the HEX color in the file did not shift after opening in Photoshop?
Yes. I created a blank tif, filled it with the HEX color, saved it, then saved the jpeg. Opened the jpeg and the colors are the same - no change.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2017, 01:46 PM

Can you wetransfer me the files you tested, tiff and jpeg?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoku View Post
Yes. I created a blank tif, filled it with the HEX color, saved it, then saved the jpeg. Opened the jpeg and the colors are the same - no change.
Can you wetransfer me the files you tested?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorShift View Post
Can you wetransfer me the files you tested, tiff and jpeg?
I was mistaken. If the jpeg is left open it continues to display the same values. Once closed and then opened again, the values change. I double-clicked on the saved jpeg on my desktop but the file was still open in PS - dumb mistake.

Saving to PNG, PSD, BMP, Targa, keeps the color values. Jpeg 2000 changes. So it must due to the jpeg format.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2017, 02:58 PM

Unhappy Re: HEX value colorshift TIFF to JPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoku View Post
I was mistaken. If the jpeg is left open it continues to display the same values. Once closed and then opened again, the values change. I double-clicked on the saved jpeg on my desktop but the file was still open in PS - dumb mistake.

Saving to PNG, PSD, BMP, Targa, keeps the color values. Jpeg 2000 changes. So it must due to the jpeg format.
Thanks for the update. I also read some old posts on Adobe forums and it does not seem possible with jpeg: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1282796
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2017, 11:32 PM

Hi Colorshift

Maybe more correctly stated, it is not possible with the maximum JPEG setting on Photoshop. The actual JPEG specification has many parameters that can be set which produces trade offs on quality and file size. The particular combination of settings that Adobe used for the 12 setting in PS does not exactly preserve the RGB values even in a field that starts as exactly the same value for every pixel (at least for some values).

I would have to ask why would that matter? If you look at the Lab values in 16 bit mode for the before and after values that you see and calculate the delta E value (a good proxy for observable color difference), it comes to a value of 0.61. For the eye to perceive any difference you need to have a value somewhere between 1 and 2. So as far as the eye can tell, you should not be able to tell the difference.

So is there a real need here or is this just an academic discussion that JPEG does not exactly preserve the exact RGB numbers? Just my quick thoughts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
Hi Colorshift

Maybe more correctly stated, it is not possible with the maximum JPEG setting on Photoshop. The actual JPEG specification has many parameters that can be set which produces trade offs on quality and file size. The particular combination of settings that Adobe used for the 12 setting in PS does not exactly preserve the RGB values even in a field that starts as exactly the same value for every pixel (at least for some values).

I would have to ask why would that matter? If you look at the Lab values in 16 bit mode for the before and after values that you see and calculate the delta E value (a good proxy for observable color difference), it comes to a value of 0.61. For the eye to perceive any difference you need to have a value somewhere between 1 and 2. So as far as the eye can tell, you should not be able to tell the difference.

So is there a real need here or is this just an academic discussion that JPEG does not exactly preserve the exact RGB numbers? Just my quick thoughts.
Thanks for your reply! My client's webpage is designed with the specific HEX value where the images I am delivering live side by side. They have flagged the issue after images were populated into their layout. Each image's bounding box is quite visible against the webpage HEX value.

My work around thought was to test delivering .pngs with transparency to avoid the need for HEX accuracy with the jpegs.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow