RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Inkjet print longevity

Old 11-24-2002, 10:22 AM

Jeanie, the air is too dry here (where I am anyway) for mold to be a problem. I wanted to see how efficient the plastic would be at stopping UV, and if it would discolor with time. I'd be worried about the varnish that DJ's using for that reason as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2002, 11:20 AM

BigAl, is that a hot process lamination? If so how much heat is applied to the image? My area has a problem with high humidity almost year round. Are those sprays considered cold lamination? Sorry for all the questions but I haven't explored this process till now and have a lot to learn.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2002, 12:34 AM

Kevin, it is a hot process lamination, but I can't tell you what the temperature is at the moment. I'll try and find the manual later in the day. The laminating machine can also do cold lamination, but I can't get the sleeves for that process in SA (Cold lamination was discussed briefly earlier in the year on RP).

I'm not sure that you'd call DJ's varnish a cold lamination. Rather a sealer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2002, 11:13 AM

Just found out that Wilhelm's web site is back up.

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/index.html

He hasn't posted the results of his Epson 2200 test data yet. But, he does have a lot of test data on the Epson 9600 which uses the same Ultrachrome pigment ink. It looks like all of the black&white test he ran came in at greater than 100 years when kept under glass.

His data has to be taken in the proper context. The acuracy of his excelerated test interpolation to real world conditions may be up for debate. What I feel in important is that all of his test are conducted under controlled conditions and each paper/ink ratings are based on identical test methods. While we may argue that his interpolation may not be 100% acurate. You can derive comparisons between the different paper/ink combinations and choose the best combination. I think his work is very important and am glad to see his site back up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2002, 02:12 PM

Hi Chuck. I am also interested in printing on canvas. I know that Inkjetart.com redriverpaper.com and several others offer canvas media for inkjet printers. I haven't done a lot of research in that area but will soon because I think that printed canvas would have a commercial application if it had good archival qualities.

I can recommend the Epson 2200 for printing up to 13 x 19. The newest large format printers from Epson the 7600, 9600, and 10600 use the same pigment ink as the 2200.

If you find any good information about canvas on inkjet I would be interested also.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow