Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

scanning 8mm home movies

Old 09-19-2003, 05:20 PM
Also keep in mind the idea of making the highest quaility print you can (even if it is not the right size) then scanning that print to make a bigger print. Sometimes its OK, sometimes............

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2003, 03:41 PM
What a neat idea to scan old motion picture film! I'm somewhat addicted to scanning, but, somehow it had never occurred to me to scan motion picture film. This thread caused me to remember some old 16 mm, optical sound film I have that has been gathering dust for many years. I tried scanning individual frames and the results were not too bad, especially when I used the tip about letting the scanner do the interpolation. (Used an Epson 3200 with the resolution set to 6400 dpi.) What I thought provided a more interesting image, though, was to capture several frames along with the optical sound track.

Here's an example. (As an aside, this is yours truly announcing his impending marriage. I love's out lasted the marriage!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16mm sound film.jpg (86.2 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2003, 09:46 AM
This is a good idea, I've got some 8mm stuff that I'd love to capture some images off of. I did a quick clean and color on Hankster's big moment just to see what quality I could expect. I don't think it came out too bad.

I scaled it up using Genuine Fractals and then did some blurring and colorizing and then desaturated to keep it in the spirit of the times in which it was shot.

Any more info or horror stories on this topic would be appreciated, so we don't all make the same mistakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16mm sound film copy2.jpg (88.4 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2003, 10:32 AM

You've captured the feel of the '70's perfectly! I got a kick out of it. Its like stepping back in time.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2003, 03:03 PM
How did your 8mm film come out?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2004, 01:16 AM
Scanning 8mm film to DVD

Anyone wanting their 8mm or 16mm film scanned to either DV (frame for frame) or to DVD should speak to DVD Infinity @ Highest quality. Richer colour, much more detail and definition, zero flicker whatsoever, no hot spots, no blur, no streaks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Re: scanning 8mm home movies

It's been 3 years since the last posts in this thread, but time to dig out of the archives (not only this thread but the film as well).

What are the latest experiences scanning 8mm film?

Is there any information in an 8mm or Super-8 movie film frame that a digital scanner can extract that a transfer to video might miss? That is, if you can get right down into the grain, can you capture any more detail, even 5%, using a film scanner (than a video transferring system will capture)?

What flatbed scanner can best scan 8mm movie frames? I'm thinking just a few strips here and there, extracting still frames. (Scanning the whole film to re-create motion would be another discussion and ordeal.)

Can the Epson 4990 accomplish the task of scanning 8mm film, or 16mm film frames?

I also have other odd formats of film to scan, including 110 and other odd negatives, plus 3D negatives made from Nimslo/Nissei/Nishika cameras.

I have the Epson 3170, but unfortunately the trays and scanning software that comes with this is designed to accept only 35mm negatives & slides, and medium format. It refuses to handle anything different, which is frustrating. I 've wasted numerous hours in experiments trying to force it to scan the odd positive and negative transparent film formats (3D, movie, etc), with varying results. Forget 8mm films with the 3170 - I actually got it to scan a few frames once but it changed all the colors (with psychedelic effects). I've also wound up scanning larger-format negatives from the 1930s-40s in 4 passes per picture , and use PhotoMerge to piece it back together, with varying results and massive hours of time wasted.

I have at least as much of the odd format films that need scanning as I do the cookie-cutter variety (35mm negatives & slides and MF). Also, the 3170 doesn't do a good job with old medium format anyway. [Needless to say, I am not a happy camper with the 3170 - wrong scanner for me.]

So, does the Epson 4990 perform with better results with all the above formats?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow