Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Digital to Print Output

Old 08-26-2001, 08:03 PM
Hi all. I believe most if not all digital photo systems use dye-subs. But hold on. This months issue of Photographic Processing magazine says Sony is setting its sights on the photofinising industry. They are beta testing new systems which they hope to use ink jets in.

Most labs using Fuji's Frontier processing systems can do a good job on digital prints. Using Fuji's Archival paper print life is around 70 years. It really depends on who is using the equipment though. Try several places until you find one you can work with. Avoid people who think they know it all. Digital is to new. We are all learning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2001, 08:05 PM
That should be "Digital is too new". By the way love this site!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 08:01 AM
Dear Ed,
I have been using the new Kodak ultima paper recently on my HP printer(2 year old model#882 C) and am very pleased with the quality of my prints. Here's a description from Kodak's FAQ re papers :

"Can I expect longer lasting Inkjet Prints from my Inkjet printer when using the KODAK Ultima Picture Paper (High Gloss or Satin)?
You can expect a print to last over 30 years when used with KODAK Personal Picture Maker PPM200, and 20 years when produced with the latest HP and EPSON printers.

Why do prints last longer when they are made with the KODAK Personal Picture Maker?
Print life is a combination of both the paper and the ink that was used to make the print. KODAK Ultima Picture Paper produces long lasting prints on current HP and EPSON printers. However, the results are even better when you combine KODAK Ultima Picture Paper with the KODAK Personal Picture Maker 200 printer. The Kodak patented inks provide an extended print life of over 30 years when printed on KODAK Ultima Picture Paper."
The url for their papers is

Re the HP claim it's what they said in an ad I read in a photography magazine for their new colorfast photo paper.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 09:49 AM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Thanks for the info Paulette. They said "if used with an Epson or HP printer"? But they didn't target any specific ink. I wonder if this means the ink most commonly used? I know there are some inks that are supposed to have archival (?) qualities.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 10:21 AM
Ed, I think, at least in case of Epson, the "Archival" moniker applied to the ink means that it is pigment rather than dye based. However, with the "Chemist types" always coming up with new stuff, this might not be the case with other companies inks. Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow