RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Textured originals

Old 08-27-2001, 09:33 PM

Hi! I have been trying to find a way of working with these papers also.They were very popular years ago and now some labs are using lustre paper as their standard matte. The reason being proffs can not be copied well.

I've had some luck scanning and using gausian blur then usm. It can be hard to blend though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 09:43 PM

ED!!!! ARRGHHHH......Oh well, domestic tranquility has priority but aint it the truth that you will never need something until you throw it away? JEANIESA, Before shelling out big bucks for a 3+ megapixel unit which will probably still pick up the textured paper anyhow, have you tried using soft illumination of the picture by putting cheese cloth over the front of a directional light then taking a shot?( As in cheap clamp lamp type--lets not get too fancy) Perhaps by manipulating the lighting you could eliminate the texture caused problem. I dread working on those types of photos as I have not been able to find ANY WAY using a flat bed scanner to eliminate the texture or even reduce it much without degrading the scan. Another thought; Have you tried placing a sheet of clear glass between the photo and camera--perhaps with that and lighting manipulation it might soften the texture somewhat. Just a few mildly disoriented musings---Thanks, Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 09:57 PM

Tom,

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on the results with the copy negative. In fact, the copy negatives had NO reflection at all from the finish. I'm almost sure the labs used polarizing filters on the lights to reduce glare on the photo finish. The problem with the copy negatives was that the resulting contrast was even worse than the already near-non-existent contrast in the original photos themselves. Specifically, the copy negatives couldn't pick up the details in the shadow areas. And, because the contrast and sharpness is so poor in the original photos, the copy negative only exacerbated those problems.

So, what I'm hoping is that perhaps the digital camera won't have the same restrictions on contrast that film does and can pick up more of the detail in the photos. Don't worry, I'm not going out and buying a 3MP camera! I've GOT to have a friend SOMEWHERE who will let me borrow one - I HOPE!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 10:40 PM

OOPS....I misunderstood. We of the bovine persuasion sometimes fall victim to that ailment! Keep us informed of your quest results! A solution to that problem would be greeted with cheering and dancing in the streets! OK, the VIRTUAL streets. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 10:45 PM

There will certainly be dancing and cheering in my PHYSICAL street if I ever figure this out! -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 08:07 AM

Jeaniesa, Have you tried any filters besides the polarizing type? In Astrophotography many folks use certain of the "colored" filters to enhance faint Planetary detail etc. with good results .Just a thought, Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 08:25 AM

Tom, No, I haven't tried any colored filters, though I did wonder briefly about that idea. Can you provide a little more detail? I've never taken a photography class (I will be this fall, finally!), so I'm not real clear on the use of colored filters. Are you talking about using them on a camera (copystand) or on the scanner (between the glass and the photo)? -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 09:08 AM

Jeanesia, Check out this: goto; TELESCOPE.COM>ORION TELESCOPE AND BINOCULAR CENTER>main page will open, SELECT TELESCOPE ACCESSORIES from the menu at the top of the page right side,>select FILTERS> and finally select ORION COLOR PLANETARY FILTERS. There follows a good description of what each filter is used for, what it enhances etc.. In Astrophotography the filters are usually mounted seperate from the camera in either motorized "filter wheel" devices, in frames which are manually removed and inserted or in "sliding bars" which allow linear mounting of as many as 5 or 6 filters which can be slid in front of the camers lens. May be a "dead end" but.... Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 10:41 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Jeanie and Tom,

I don't think there will be any benefit from using the colored filters if the photo to be copied is B&W. A red or yellow filter is commonly used with B&W film to enhance (darken) a light blue sky. But, as always, don't take my word for it -- check it out!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 10:53 AM

Ed, The majority of the Astro CCD cameras are BW with only a couple of exceptions. To get color the "target" planet or whatever is shot through colored filters, usually RGB although there has been some experimentation with CMYK ones. The greyscale images are then combined to produce the color composit. I was thinking that since we use the greyscale images in the channels pallete to find the one with the best "look"(exactly like the greyscale images shot thru the filters of the Astro camera) perhaps this methodology could be adapted to using the colored filters to enhance the "whatever" in J's photos. Sometimes teasing detail out of a shot of Jupiters clouds or subtle details of the Martian landscape or clouds can be done by this method. Only a stab in the dark though. Thanks for the info!!! Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow