RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Textured originals

Old 08-27-2001, 06:28 PM

Thumbs down

I use a digital camera quite frequently in my work. Many of my customers give me old snapshots that were printed using "matte" finish. This type of finish produces a pattern of white dots when scanned, so I photograph the image instead. I use the macro setting, and a copy stand to get the best shots.

I've also used the camera to shot overly large photographs, and then piece them together.

In these instances, I've made several comparisons, between a scan and photograph of the photo, and in most cases I go with the photograph.

Everyone has been more than pleased with the results.

Oops, the camera I use is an Olympus 2020.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 06:36 PM

GOOD info Vikki!! I shudder when I have to scan the textured photos. That is an excellent tip.!!! Did you build your copy stand or purchase it? Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 06:52 PM

Building a Photo Copy Stand

Speaking of copy stands...

I was browsing the Internet and found this site with instructions on how to build your own.

Build an inexpensive photo copy stand

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 07:10 PM

I purchased mine - no woodworking skills here. Plus, I like having several adjustment levers, to make sure everything is on the correct level.
Regarding "leveling", instead of using a mirror as that site suggests, you can purchase a very small, round level. I think I got mine from Home Depot.
I rarely use bulbs. I setup in front of a window, adjust my camera settings, and use my remote (so I don't have to use the flash).
The only drawback, and this is minor, is that I can only do this during the day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 07:16 PM

T. Paul, Thanks for the link---looks like I am going to get to play with power tools again!!! Hope I will still be able to count to 10 using using my "counting aides" without having to take off my boots! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 07:23 PM

Vikki, do you notice any problems with artifacts such as noise etc, when using the camera, and do you find that you must sharpen images imported into your image processing program more than from a flat bed scanner? What is the megapixel count of the 2020, around 3 or 3.25 isnt it? Sorry about all the questions, I am simply addicted to knowledge!!Some day some of it is actually going to stick between my ears! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 07:39 PM

Very interesting thread. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to find the "definitive" answer on how to scan those "satin-" or "linen-" finish photos. My friend who was involved in Operation Babylift (see that story over in Critiques) has about 40 photos that she took herself which really need to be archived.

In the process of trying to figure out the best way to get a digital image, I have bought two additional scanners. (Thank God for eBay!) I was told that 1200 optical dpi scanners (which I had one of) pick up too much texture, but that 600 optical dpi wouldn't pick up as much. Not true from my experience. I bought (and returned) one of the ultrathin CanoScans on a recommendation that because of the CIS technology (as opposed to most scanners' CCD technology), the lack of any depth of field would help eliminate the "white dot syndrome". Again, not true in my experience. I tried a polarizing sheet at any number of different angles (both the sheet and the photo) to no avail. I tried velum and wax paper - also to no avail. The only thing I haven't yet tried (and which I will try on one of my OWN childhood photos) is vegetable oil or glycerin (glycerin is water based, so much easier to clean up!) rubbed onto the face of the photo to "fill in" the nooks and crannies. I have to try just so I know if it actually works or not, but there's no way I'll do that on anyone else's photos!

In addition to trying everything I could think of with scanners, I had 35mm copy negatives made at three different high-quality photo labs in town because I wondered if I should just purchase a copy stand and do that on my own. (I have a film scanner, so can scan the negative directly.) As it turned out, one of the labs did a scan/print for free to show me the quality and I have to say that the contrast and detail in the shadows was MUCH better from the scan. It was not particularly crisp however, and after purchasing the same scanner used by that lab, I realized it's because they had the descreening value set all the way up. (Blurs out the white dots, but also the detail in the photo.) It doesn't look too bad when printing the 3x3 photo in the same size, but I'd really like the option to enlarge some of them and so far I haven't found a way to do that without the "texture" getting in the way of the actual photo.

SO, that's a long-winded way of saying that perhaps I need to ask some of my friends if they have a 3M-pixel digital camera that I can try. (I don't have the $$ to go out and purchase one for myself.) Perhaps a digital camera would produce better results than a traditional 35mm copy negative?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 07:45 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Guess what folks. Yesterday, I threw away a copy stand that I made. It was very much made like the link plan. The difference was that instead of making the sliding arm, I used a black pipe "T", which had to have the threads filed out so that it would slide on the vertical piece of pipe. A hole was drilled through the side of the "T", and it was threaded to accept a T-bolt. This was used to secure the camera support so that it wouldn't slide down once it was in position. In fact, I think I still have the pipe parts in the garage. If anyone is interested in seeing what I'm talking about, I'll take a shot of it to display for you. I made mine around 1980 or so, and I *never* had to worry about the camera being in line with the photo. It was rock solid, and weighed a ton! Most of the time I used lights at a 45 degree angle to the print. All of the images that I sent in to the archives were copied on this stand. I used a 35mm camera, a 645 camera, and a 4 X 5 camera on the stand for copy work.

Tom,

Now you know one of the things that was in the walk-in closet!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 08:01 PM

Tom - I can get a "zero compression", 5 meg TIF (1600 x 1200) with the camera. It's hard to answer the sharpening question... I don't believe it's that much softer than a scan.

To tell you the truth, like Jeanie, I've tried everything without luck, I have to be satisfied with this.

If I can find two comparison shots on my system I will post it, otherwise, it may take me a week to get to it - if you're interested.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikki
If I can find two comparison shots on my system I will post it, otherwise, it may take me a week to get to it - if you're interested.
I for one am VERY interested! Whenever you have time would be greatly appreciated! -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow