RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Dark Prints

Old 08-30-2001, 09:05 AM

Dark Prints

I have an Epson 1280 -- great printer. I have profiles set up for different papers, and colors are a really close match to monitor. The prints are 20 - 30% darker tho. I've read that tweaking via the printer software (adjusting brightness via the control) is not the best way to go. Any ideas, suggestions, experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 09:43 AM

Larry, My 1270 does pretty much the same thing,although not quite as much as your printer seems to. Try this: when you get ready to print, click on the " TRANSFER " button on the control panel that comes up when going through your printer set up. This will open a box with a curve graph on the left and a series of boxes to the right. This graph works like the "Curves" function in the Adjustment layer. (Actually there is a little biy more to it than that but bear with me). In the white area next to the 50% box type in a number less than 50 to lighten your print globally and a number more than 50 to darken it. I usually start with a " Lighten value of around 45. Once you type in the number, OK it and continue with anyother adjustments such as Printing resolution, etc. You might also try under the custom settings a value of 2.2 for the Gamma. Good luck, Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 10:01 AM

Thanks, Tom. I'll try that tonight and let you know how it turns out. As a side thought, I use the Vivid Details plug in, and it works very well for color and brightness corrections, but I don't want to use it all the time. So your help is greatly appreciated.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 10:03 AM
Janitor

Matching printouts to the monitor is one of the oldest quests in imaging. Profiling is the only solution, and it can be a royal pain until you get it set.

Check out Monaco and some of the other profiling packages.

In the meantime, make sure you're using the ICC profile for your printer. Your printer manufacturer should supply it, and many come with Photoshop. Also make sure you're using the Adobe gamma controller properly. And of course, use printer setup to set your paper type.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 05:31 PM

Hi, Tom
Went into my printer setup, but I didn't see a "TRANSFER" button. There are some sliding scales though for brightness, contrast, etc. Do you have a 1280 or 1270? Maybe the controls are different.
At any rate, I tried an adjustment using the brightness slider, and it seemed to work, but I don't know if that's the best way to go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 05:33 PM

Doug,
Thanks for your advise also. I am using the 1280 profile, and I have some profiles set up for the different papers (glossy, matte, etc.). Is that what you mean, or am I missing something else.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 05:47 PM

Larry, I am using a 1270 so it may be different, but on mine it is on the "Page setup" window, lower left corner area. A profile is the best way to go but like Doug indicated it can be an exercise in patience to which I would add, a study in new and innovative construction of profane phrases. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 07:25 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Larry
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow