Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Scanning size percentage confussion

Old 09-09-2001, 05:12 AM
The usefullness of GF and other similar programs is controversial. They seem to work great for some types of photos, and not at all (or worse) for others. I know people that say they're a godsend, and others that claim it was a waste of good money.

So, yes, I scan and work at the highest reasonable resolution I think will ever be called for. If someone ever calls up and wants a wall mural of a 5x7 I did for them earlier, I'm screwed, but that hasn't happened yet and I doubt it ever will (not a lot of repeat business so far).

The biggest most people will ever want is 8x10. Every once in awhile someone will ask for 11x14, and I've done about 4 16x20 and 2 20x24 in my entire life (neither of those last two was digital or even recent).

I offer one free print up to 8x10 with every restore, and up to now that's all that's ever been needed for my restoration work. The last job I did, for example, specified 5x7 even though they could have gotten 8x10.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2001, 09:13 AM
That's generally what happens with me also. I usually scan high enough to get a good 8x10 if the originals are 4x6 or 5x7. If the original is very small (wallet) chances are they won't blow up to 8x10 anyway so I don't have to worry about scanning real high on that size. But if some one brings in an 8x10 or larger, I do scan big enough to make a larger print eventually. So I guess that is pretty much the way you do things also. My current job is scanning an 8x10 to create a 16x20 so I guess that's why this question came up. I actually scanned it at 400 but made the image 300 percent larger.

I think I now understand this size vs resolution thing much better. To increase print size without resampling you must decrease the resolution and vice versa. So if I want an 8x10 print of a 5x7 scanned at 400dpi and don't want to resample then I will have to lower the resolution to do that which then makes the print size bigger. It does that by making the dots per inch wider apart instead of resampling which adds dots that were never there based on what the values are surrounding it. Does that sound about right?

See guys you are a great help in answering peoples questions. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2001, 10:37 PM

You hit the nail on the head, regarding resampling and resolution. Basically, you've got a given number of pixels/dots both horizontally and vertically.... By spreading them out, or pushing them together, you can change the final image size. For example, a 4x6 image at 600dpi (2400 X 3600 pixel/dots) would make an 8x12 image at 300dpi (still have 2400 x 3600 pixels/dots). You have the same information, just taking up a different area. When it comes time to actually printing the image, I've heard debate as to what benefit there is to higher than 300 dpi images, even on the higher resolution inkjets, like the 2880X720 Epson 1280 printer. Egads, going to quit here before it gets too long :-) Always have enjoyed a good excuse to talk.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2001, 07:44 AM
I guess they will be debating this subject for years to come. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow