RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Scanning size percentage confussion

Old 09-08-2001, 08:35 PM

Question Scanning size percentage confussion

Here's the question:
Say I'm scanning a 5x7 and because I may want to make larger prints someday, I scan it at a high resolution to avoid resampling. Do I also scan that image at a higher percentage then the actual size? Instead of scanning it at 400dpi at 100% (actual size) would I also make the scan size higher say 200% (twice the size) or higher if I want a poster some day.

My thought is, if I eventually make that 400dpi 5x7 into a 400dpi 8x10, I still wind up resampling don't I? There for if I think I may want a poster eventually shouldn't I scan it at a high percentage as well as high resolution?

It's just a thought I had that has been bugging me lately. Scanning math confuses me sometimes. OK most times.
DJ
Old 09-08-2001, 08:58 PM
Janitor

If you start at a resolution, enlarge, and end up at that same resolution, resampling has to take place.

When you get down to it, "size" doesn't really exist, only the number of pixels. The number of pixels per inch you decide to print determines the size. If that size differs from what you actually have, then you must resample.
Old 09-08-2001, 09:03 PM

In that case what do you do for archival purposes? Do you scan the picture to be the biggest dimensions incase someone wants it printed bigger in the future?
DJ
Old 09-08-2001, 09:05 PM

Dj, It might be time for you to look closely at the file format plug-in Genuine fractals. What you want to do is exactly what this program excels at. You can make one scan at your usual resolution and by saving it in the Fractals proprietary format, you can then "shrink" or "enlarge" it upon opening to whatever size you desire. Because of the unique math involved in the fractals algorithm you avoid for the most part the usually encountered artifacts, image degradation etc. Tom
Old 09-08-2001, 09:08 PM

Do you use that? How easy is it to deal with? Sounds like a good idea if the cost isn't too high. Otherwise I keep scanning larger size and downscale as I have been doing. I will check it out. Thanks Tom.
DJ
Old 09-08-2001, 09:21 PM

It's very easy to use and I use it quite a bit. It aint cheap however, around $150 for the regular version and more for the one which has a few more bells and whistles like CMYK support and some other stuff which didnt look really necessary for me at least. Tom
Old 09-08-2001, 09:27 PM

I also recently found mention of a product called "S-spline" which looks like it might do a better job than GF - and it's less expensive. Unfortunately, I have no experience with either, so I can't give you any sort of review. But the product looks interesting from the examples shown on the website. Has anyone else heard of this - or even used it?

Jeanie
Old 09-08-2001, 09:40 PM

Interesting site. It sort of sounds like a variation of the bicubic algorithm perhaps similar to to the Lanczos type found in Picture Window Pro. Having heard nothing of S-spline until today, I really am in the dark about it but would perhaps be a tiny bit suspicious of the claims. The Fractal algorithm is a well known entity with a proven track record. As to the Lanczos type--it works but not that much better than bicubic, in my experience at least. Tom
Old 09-08-2001, 09:48 PM

Oops

I didn't address DJ's original question...

I think this page at scantips.com might be helpful for you. I think the guy tends to repeat himself a lot, but he does have some really good information. (I actually bought his book and am about a third of the way through it. I'll review it when I'm done reading it.)

As far as what I do. I scan as for as large a size as I think I (or a client) might want in the future. That usually means I scan a 4x6 print so that I could make an 8x10 (or 8x12) if I wanted to. But, I don't scan an 8x10 to be able to make a 16x20 (esp. not at 300dpi!)

What I've done in the past is scan at whatever the highest optical resolution of my scanner is (for the smaller prints) - then change the dpi using "image size" in Photoshop to get the size I want. I think I have a little more to learn about the "correct" way to resize though. According to scantips, scaling at the time of scanning (and leaving the resolution at 300dpi or whatever your preferred printing resolution is) produces the exact same results as not scaling the image size, but increasing the dpi. Well, don't know if that makes sense or not - read that page that I mentioned above and hopefully it will make more sense.

I think I've just confused the issue...

Jeanie

Last edited by jeaniesa; 09-08-2001 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2001, 10:07 PM

Thumbs down

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses. I will look into G F and the other one if nothing else than to increase my understanding of things. Not sure that I can afford any new toys yet since I just got PS 6 upgrade.

I also thank you for that site you gave me on scanning tips. I will definately read that one through. I have a feeling I knew the answer but when ever anyone talked about scanning, the only thing they ever mentioned was the pixel res and not the size output so I just had to put it into words. Thanks all for helping clarify things.
DJ

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow