RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

textured papers for Epson 2200

Old 07-28-2003, 06:41 PM

textured papers for Epson 2200

Greetings to all:

Is there a source for textured papers for use in the Epson 2200? I would like the option of using canvas and linen type finish paper. The Epson brand canvas paper looks great, but it isn't made for the 2200.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2003, 11:58 PM

Try InkJetArt. They are not necessarily the cheapest, but they do have a large selection of papers and offer sample packs for a bunch of different papers so that you don't have to by an entire package only to find out you don't like the paper. They also have a forum associated with their site where you can ask questions about specific papers for use with Epson printers (2200 included.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2003, 08:37 AM

Wow! Thanks for the link!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2003, 11:50 AM

Hi Photo Grafix,

I would be careful with canvas in the 2200. Go to the forum on Inkjetart and look for questions regarding the items you want to use. I remember reading there that there were no canvas papers recommended for the 2200. I would like to print on canvas myself but have backed off after reading some of the posts there at Inkjetart forums.

There are several textured papers recommended there at Inkjetart. You may need to experiment with a small print job at first to see if the drying time and ink density is right.

Inkjetart has the biggest selection of papers for the 2200.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2003, 05:35 PM

Regarding textured media for the 2200, don't forget the new Arches Infinity. There are two surface finishes (Smooth and Textured) and two weights (230gsm and 355gsm). Yes, it's expensive, but it's "luscious." To understand what I mean by that, read my and Andy Darlow's review of the paper at:
http://www.dpandi.com/newsreviews/reviews/ai/index.html
(Andy discusses the 2200; we tested it on Epson 1280 and 7600)

And yes, inkjetart.com carries it. (So does inkjetgoodies.com, inkjetmall.com, et al.)

BTW, this is my first post, and I'm not used to this database style of forum, so bear with me (and please tell me if I'm doing anything improper here).

Harald Johnson
author, "Mastering Digital Printing"
DP&I.com ( http://www.dpandi.com )
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2003, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the information Harald. I am glad to know af another paper for the 2200. You know the first critisms I heard about the 2200 was that the paper availablity was poor. I have found the paper selection to be very robust.

Thanks again. By the way I have your book and really enjoyed the information you presented. In fact you will find a review of your book in our reviews section.

Kevin
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2003, 09:19 PM

Kevin: <...By the way I have your book and really enjoyed the information you presented. In fact you will find a review of your book in our reviews section.>

Thanks, but I searched the Reviews and find no review, only a listing of it.

BTW 1, how do I change the thread format so that the most recent post is at the top?

BTW 2, how can I see the prior post I'm responding to so I'm not posting blind? (e.g., I don't know what the subject is).

Thank you.

Harald Johnson
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2003, 10:20 AM

Harald - On the page for your book located here you should see an entry at the bottom for "Reviewer", "Date Added", "Summary" etc... Click on the summary and you will be taken to my review ...still waiting on some others here to write reviews!

There are a couple of ways to view the most recent posts. When you view the forum's main page there should be a "View New Posts" link in the upper right hand corner. This will show you all posts made on any topic since the last time you logged into the forum. In each section (Input/output, Hardware, etc...) new posts will automatically bump a thread to the top. If you were to go back to a thread from a year ago and post a new message on it today, the thread would move to the very top and have a little yellow arrow beside it.

When you reply to a post on a thread, you should be able to review the previous posts by scrolling down below your reply window. (Topic Review)

...Are you ready to run screaming back to Yahoo groups yet?

I have not tried the Arches Infinity paper yet (going to be ordering some soon) but I have been using their traditional art papers for years. (not for inkjet...but for almost every other form of printmaking and painting) They make some of the best paper in the world IMO.

Last edited by G. Couch; 08-02-2003 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2003, 11:00 AM

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the response.

<Harald - On the page for your book located here you should see an entry at the bottom for "Reviewer", "Date Added", "Summary" etc... Click on the summary and you will be taken to my review ...still waiting on some others here to write reviews! >

Oh, there it is. You guys like to put things at the bottom, don't you ;-)

Wow, thanks for flattering review. Couple of comments back:

(1) <...For example, the section on the history of digital printing is rather myopic as it deal almost exclusively with the history of Nash Editions. While they were certainly pioneers in the field and deserve a huge amount of respect, it would have been nice to see the author research some of the other artists and printers who helped bring about digital printing as a viable art form....>

They (and the others I mention) are *the* ones, IMO. Who else should be included?

(2) <...Dorothy Simpson Krause, Bonny Lhotka and Karin Schminke is probably not worth much in my opinion. Thankfully, Johnson devotes several pages to their work and gives excellent examples of how they produce their prints. The only problem was that I wanted to see more and profiles of more artists! This one section of the book could probably be expanded into it's own book...and hopefully someone will do just that in the near future! >

Yessir. It's called "Secrets of Award-Winning Digital Artists," Wiley, 2002, by Jeremy Sutton and Daryl Wise.

<There are a couple of ways to view the most recent posts. ...SNIP>

Thanks for that explanation. I'll give it a try. As I said, this is new to me.

<...Are you ready to run screaming back to Yahoo groups yet? >

Nah... I'll give you a fair shot. After that... ;-)

<I have not tried the Arches Infinity paper yet (going to be ordering some soon) but I have been using their traditional art papers for years. (not for inkjet...but for almost every other form of printmaking and painting) They make some of the best paper in the world IMO.>

Exactly, which is why I was interested in reviewing the inkjet paper.

Harald Johnson
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2003, 12:18 PM

Harald,

I responded to your comments on the review here

Each review on the site has it's own thread for discussion....we seem to have threads for everything!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow