RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Online Printing

Old 09-10-2001, 11:04 PM

The large sizes on Ofoto are fairly new, so perhaps you looked before they added them. (Just in case you thought you were losing it. ) -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2001, 09:27 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Gang,

I know things haven't been real good lately, but I was wondering if anyone had anything else to say about print quality. BTW, what output resolution are you giving them for the prints? I'm a little curious since I haven't had any done yet. Do they let you know what they want? And will they do color matching?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2001, 10:18 PM

Hi to all,
I recieved ofoto's pictures back and they were processed in less than a day! Very good quality Kodak paper and the color match was excellent. Nice and sharp picture. I had them printed on glossy and didn't have them crop to fit...I keep my pics at 200-300dpi. Now that I have compared these three companies, so far my favorite is 1-dotphoto...reasons: cost and quality 2-ofoto....quality and speed 3-shutterfly...quality and speed 4-printroom....now that I have compared I am not really happy with the color shift and the pictures are a bit fuzzy (could be the matte paper).
I still have lots of free prints to compare with so I will be checking back in!
I also have a slow computer but these companies have a fairly quick upload time (don't know how that works but it does!)
If you sign up with ofoto.com thru amazon.com you get a bunch of free prints plus half off etc....I hope some more of you give them a try to so we can figure out the best one! It is a lot of fun getting free prints in the mail! I am going to do a xmas card/picture and have them printed up to send out for xmas
Take care,

Last edited by Jill; 09-17-2001 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2001, 10:34 PM

Wow! You sure answer quickly! Thanks very much for the update Jill. I'll take a look to see if I can find something to send to a couple of places. That was a *great* idea. Thanks again.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2001, 09:16 AM

Ditto what Ed said Jill. You sure did a good job with this little research. We can all benifit from this one.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2001, 11:25 AM

Thanks to all of you for the positive feedback! DJ told me you were a great bunch and she was right
I was wondering what dpi/resolution you (Jeanie and Debbie) send in to get the large size prints coming back great?
Ed, I am looking forward to hearing about your results! I sure have learned a lot from all of you...I may not post a lot but I do jump all around the forum and soak up all you info! Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2001, 07:59 PM

Glad to have you posting Jill. I'm not sure just when I'll get the prints made, but when I do I'll let everyone know what I think.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2001, 08:49 PM

Hi Jill,
It depends on what the place I take it too can handle and also what formats they want. One place could only handle up to 22mb and their largest output was 11x14. For places that do larger prints, I have sent 600 dpi and the last one I sent out was a 16x20 at 400 dpi. Whether this was overkill or not I don't know. I asked the printer first what size they wanted and was told the bigger the better. I really can't help too much on this end of things as I haven't had that much experience with outside printers.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2001, 09:22 AM

Jill, I haven't actually used Ofoto to order any large prints yet. However, my local lab requests that I give them 300dpi at whatever size I'm requesting. That can be a pretty big file so I have to write it to a CD. I just looked on the Ofoto website and they recommend:

For a 4 x 6" print, the image resolution should be 640 x 480 pixels minimum
For a 5 x 7" print, the image resolution should be 1024 x 768 pixels minimum
For an 8 x 10" print, the image resolution should be 1536 x 1024 pixels minimum
For a 16 x 20" print, the image resolution should be 1600 x 1200 pixels minimum
For a 20 x 30" print, the image resolution should be 1600 x 1200 pixels minimum

Those are pretty darn low resolutions if you ask me, i.e. I would never print out a photo on my printer at that low a resolution. However, they do say that "Although Ofoto will print any of your photos to the size you choose, some photos - depending on the number of pixels in the image - just look better when printed at a specific size." I guess I should test a large print - sending the same photo at the "minimum resolution" and one at 300dpi (which is what I've been told by my local lab to give the best quality on their equipment) and see if I can tell the difference. (I bet I will.)

I'll report back when I've done this, but it might take me a few days to get to it...

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2001, 06:22 PM

Hi all!

Most of the lab people I talk to are using GF so they can get by with less dpi but I would still send the largest file you can. The largest I go is 8x10 so I usually give them a 300-400 tiff on a cd. No problems so far.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow