RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Online Printing

Old 09-25-2001, 01:01 PM

Sorry to take so long to respond!
Jeanie...I would love to hear how your compairson works out, and thank you for the resolution recommendations. I think I better pay more attention to the websites and look for that!
Bob....what is GF?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2001, 06:33 PM

Sorry, my spelling is soooooooo bad I do a lot of abbreviating. The program is called "Genuine Fractals". It uses algorithms to enlarge an image.

Sometimes it works great other times just ok. Its made by Altamira Group. Hope this helps.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2001, 12:02 AM

Hi, this is my first post on this page, so I hope I'm doing this right. Anyhow, what a great web site this is. I'm new to photo restoration but I've quickly become an addict. I've gained a lot of information and ideas from all of you guys.
I found this subject very interesting since I've been looking for ways to get my digital prints done over the web. Have any of you tried ezprints.com? I uploaded some files to them the other day and am (anxiously) waiting to see how they come out.
They sent a couple of 8x10 prints to help me match my moniter to their colors and the paper seemed very good. Supposedly they only output on Kodak paper. Their prices also seemed quite reasonable, 4.95 for an 11x14, 2.95 for an 8x10. I ordered color, b/w, on both glossy and matte.
I'll let you know how they look when I get them.
Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2001, 12:15 AM

Oh.....I guess I have heard of genuine fractals but have little knowledge about it! (obviously) Thanks for the responce!
Nancy...I will look forward to hearing about your results This is the best group, I have also learned so much from everyone....and people are actually nice to you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2001, 02:23 PM

Welcome Nancy
Look forward to your results also. Remember this site is composed of people like yourself who don't have to be an authority on the subject, just eager to share their experiences and learn from others experiences.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2001, 12:23 AM

Six weeks later...

Last Friday my Ofoto 15% off coupon was expiring, so I spent the day uploading photos to finally do my "resolution test." I had a photo of Canyonlands in Utah that I had stitched together from two photos and wanted to see what it would look like in a large size. So, I ordered two 16x20" prints. (The actual photo dimensions are 7x20".)

My first file was 300dpi. I wanted to save it as quality 10 JPEG, but the file was too big and after a half dozen attempts to upload the file to Ofoto. I called customer support to ask if there was a limit on file size, had to leave a message and got a call back within 4 hours. I was told that there isn't any limit on file size, but if the site is really busy, sometimes larger files time out. I've got a cable modem, so I don't think the problem was at my end. And since I didn't want to wait until the wee hours of the morning (and risk not being able to use my coupon), I played around with various file sizes by changing the JPEG quality. (The whole purpose of the test was to send a 300dpi and lowest-possible resolution, so I didn't want to play around with resolution.) I found that anything above a quality 7 was larger than 3MB and got an error during loading. The quality 7 file was 2.5MB and loaded without any difficulty. Since I couldn't get any of the larger files to load, I had to use this one as my "high-end" test.

My second file was the lo-res version. Ofoto recommends "at least" 1200x1600 pixels for 16x20" prints. That equates to 80 dpi! And that's what I used. That file was only 500KB and loaded without difficulty.

I ordered the prints Friday evening and got an e-mail Saturday afternoon that the order was complete. (I ordered some other smaller photos as well. The smaller photos (8x10, 5x7, and 4x6) all arrived yesterday.) The larger prints arrived today in a triangular "tube." I'm not sure how else to desribe it, but the photos were loosely rolled with protective paper and put in the triangular mailing tube to ship.

Now the test came - would I be able to tell the difference? At first glance, no. However, on closer inspection, I noticed that the sky looked a bit more mottled on one of them. (Luckily, there's not much sky in the photo.) And on even closer inspection, I noticed that the details in the photo with the mottled sky were a little blurry, i.e., not much detail.

Conclusion: Resolution does make a difference! If you were to look at the two photos side-by-side from across the room, I doubt that you'd be able to tell a difference. However, if you're lke me and like to move in close to see the details of a photo, I'm afraid the lo-res version will be disappointing to you. I did not test an intermediate resolution, so don't know what would be a "minimum acceptable resolution" for me personally. I think I'll just stick with my 300dpi for now.

And if by chance you're interested, I've attached a much smaller version of the photo I used for my test.

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg island in the sky final 700pix.jpg (36.0 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2001, 06:59 AM

Just wondering--does this business allow you to send TIFF format and do you do RGB or CMYK mode? Can you send your work in on CD?The photo is Awesome!! Gotta love the West--beauty everywhere. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2001, 07:55 AM

Tom,

They only allow JPG format. (I can't even imagine trying to send a decent-sized TIFF given the trouble I was having uploading a file over 3MB.)

I send RGB and have been very happy with the color. I don't know if they do any "color correction," but just did quick search for RGB on the site and came up with the following:
Quote:
Question: Do you use RGB Print Format?

Answer: We print in RGB, our imaging engineer recommends BruceRGB for editing:

Whitepoint=6500k
Gamma=2.2
red xy =0.6400 0.3300
green xy= 0.2800 0.6500
blue xy=0.1500 0.0600

You may change these settings by going to the File menu, down to Color Settings, and choosing RGB Setup. Once you've set the Whitepoint and Gamma, go to the Primaries pull-down and select Custom. This will bring up a pop-up that will allow you to change the red xy, green xy, and blue xy.
I never knew this info before, so thanks for asking the question!

As far as whether you can send your files on a CD, I did another search. (Thanks for helping me find this info. I've discovered a search on Ofoto searches through an archive of past questions that people have sent in via e-mail. A veritable treasure trove of information!)
Quote:
Sending any type of storage medias (i.e. floppy, CD, Memory Cards, etc.) for uploading photos to your account is a service we don't currently offer. As we develop and provide new services, you will be notified once they become available. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Instead, please upload with OfotoNow or through your browser at Ofoto.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2001, 12:28 PM

Great info! Thanks much--I owe you one! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2001, 06:33 PM

Jeanie
Beautiful picture! What a breath taking view.
Thanks for the great summary of your experiences with the online photo place. It was very complete and an excellent experiment.
We will all benifit by your efforts and Jill's.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow