RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Online Printing

Old 11-08-2001, 10:03 PM

Great review!
I loved the Canyonland picture!
I agree that Ofoto's pictures seem a bit blurry...even at 300dpi mine were softer rather than sharp.
I did photo's for a wedding a little while ago and uploaded all to dotphoto (took forever and ever!) and the family all ordered from there. All were very happy and I have decided they are my favorite. (best prices so far) Not one problem with about 300 pics so far...they do take the longest to get back though. From order to delivery took a week.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2001, 10:29 PM

Jill,

Thanks for mentioning the comparitive sharpness of prints from Ofoto and dotPhoto. Since I haven't gotten a print from dotPhoto, I'm not able to do that comparison myself. Unfortunately, it looks like the largest print size that dotPhoto will print is 12x18". I'm not sure a 16x20" from Ofoto and 12x18" from dotPhoto would be an apples to apples comparison. Any thoughts from anyone else on that point?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2001, 05:47 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
For a *true* comparison, IMHO you would need the same size print. But I also think that would depend on just how critical you are when viewing the print. At the sizes you mention, normal viewing distance would be approximately the same, so I think a reasonable comparison would be expected. Just remember that the width to height ratio is not the same with those sizes, and cropping might also enter the picture (no pun intended). Simply one man's opinion.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2001, 08:44 AM

I could be(and probably am) wrong, but I wonder if the blurriness is related to JPEG artifacts and the "blow-up" of the image to the large size. I am assuming by the info so far that this isnt really noticable unless you get up close and really examine the prints. How are the smaller prints? Do they exibit the same type of problem? Just wondering....Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2001, 09:57 PM

I think I'll try an 18" from dotPhoto to compare to my Ofoto prints. Here's my reasoning. The high-resolution file that I uploaded to Ofoto was 300dpi at the exact size I wanted it printed (i.e., 7"x20"). Thus, I don't think the fuzziness has to do with JPEG artifacts, Tom. (Though I could be wrong too. ) I think that if I size my photo to be exactly 18" at 300dpi and upload to dotPhoto, that will be a pretty good comparison. Not exact, but "good enough." I'll report back when I get the print. (I promise it won't take me 6 weeks this time. )
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2001, 08:14 PM

I came across this review the other day. Maybe it adds a couple more processors to the list.
http://www.smartbusinessmag.com/arti...10KTX1K0000441
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2001, 09:26 AM

Great find Sanda. I think this is a good addition to this thread.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 07:27 AM

bignose

I just used bignose.com to order a 16x20 and was quite pleases. I had heard MANY good things about them, so I decided to try out their service. I uploaded a 1600x1200 TIFF saved at 72dpi (that was the res taken with my camera and I had heard that they have great methods of enlarging images). They accept TIFF or JPG and have file size specifications for each size of print. I will say that this is a PRINT....from a PRINTER....it's not processed like smaller 4x6-8x10s at most places. But it is still a really nice quality print. They did an excellent job at enlarging the image for print and it only cost 14.99. The thing that COMPLETELY amazed me was that I ordered the print on Thanksgiving day and it was being shipped from WA to KY. I thought I MAY get it the following Friday of the next week......I was wrong.....I get it MONDAY after Thanksgiving!!!!! I was blown away at their turnaround time and WILL use them again.

I have a local SAMs club that prints 8x10s for about $2 each on a Fuji printer.....VERY nice quality. The problem is, knowing the schedules of the people that work there so you get someone who knows how to print them. When I first went there, the guy had no clue what I was talking about, and then after 5 minutes of saying "uhhh......uh........uuuuhhhh" he said it would cost about $12 for an 8x10....I just laughed. One of my local Meijer stores prints really nice 4x6-8x10s for under $3 each.....but not quite the quality of SAMs Club.

Hope that helps someone out there!!

OH!! ONE MORE GREAT THING!!!! Here is a FREE action similar to Genuine Fractals. It does an EXCELLENT job and enlarging images!!! Check it out!!!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/SI/index.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 10:10 AM

Smile

Wow, Mediaase
That's an excellent supplement to this thread. Yet another good online printer with good results. I had a 16 x 20 done with the local 60 Minute Photo and although they did a great job the cost was $25 and the time was just over one week. I will have to try this bignose.com and see how they compare. Sounds great though. Also thanks for the link. Have to check that out further.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 10:15 AM

oh....one caveat about that plugin.....it doesn't do anything to increase ppi like GF does. It only enlarges the photo it "steps"...hence the word "Stair". It can increase the size of a photo 4x. So if you have a 300ppi image that is 8x10....you could make it a 32x40 at 300ppi with really nice results.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow