RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Scanning multiple pictures at once???

Old 01-08-2004, 02:36 PM

Scanning multiple pictures at once???

Hi
I have a question about scanning. This might be the wrong forum, but its the best I could find. I have hundreds of pictures I want to scan and it's going to take months if I scan one at a time. Is there a program or something where I can scan 6 pictures at a time, and it automatically save the 6 sections as 6 different jpegs? I'm just looking for something to save some major time. Thanks!
Jason
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2004, 03:40 PM

Jason -- I don't know if there's a way to do what you want, but I sometimes scan multiple photos at the same time and save it as one large Photoshop or Tif file (don't want to use jpeg format on an image that we're still going to be working on since it loses detail at each file save). I suppose you could create an action to select each part of the large image into separate images -- but only if they are all the same size. My way isn't what you're hoping for (maybe someone here will know how to do that), but it takes less time to scan than doing each one individually. If the images were taken on the same day under the same lighting, you can even save time doing a Levels adjustment on one and saving those values to reload into the next image -- works if the lighting is similar.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2004, 03:44 PM

that is an idea to try. Thanks. I was thinking this could be an option, but I wouldn't have known about jpeg format losing quality each time. Thanks for that suggestion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2004, 12:13 AM

ps cs trick/tip

You can place pics on scanner not straight, scan them, then in ps go to automate, choose crop and straighten photos. PS looks for straight edges, straightens them, copies each to its own separate window.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2004, 07:02 AM

Silverfast Ai, which is a program which works either as a stand alone scanner control program or a plugin to various editing programs has a batch scan mode which will allow you to scan multiple images to a pre determined file. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2004, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasgeorge
Silverfast Ai, which is a program which works either as a stand alone scanner control program or a plugin to various editing programs has a batch scan mode which will allow you to scan multiple images to a pre determined file. Tom
Thanks alot Tom. I'll check out this Silverfast Ai.
I still haven't found a solution, so I'll check this out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 12:18 PM

batch scanning

You never metioned what brand of scanner you are using. Epson has a feature called scan to P.I.M. file that although it requires some manual input from you allows multiple scans. load your photos ont ot the scanner and do a pre scan then select each photo one at a time and scan it. then at the end of a scanning session you can save all the photos to a specified file and it will automaticly renumber the photos.
Not fully automatic but it really speeds up the process. i've used this method to scan about 600 family photos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2004, 12:23 PM

batch scanning

I just got photoshop cs upgrade and it has the batch scanning option that i think you are looking for. the "crop and straighten" command under File- automate will automaticlly seperate and straighten as many photos as you can fit on your scanner at once the just save them as you normally would in photoshop. I have only tried it a couple of times but seems to work very well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2004, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denschneider
I just got photoshop cs upgrade and it has the batch scanning option that i think you are looking for. the "crop and straighten" command under File- automate will automaticlly seperate and straighten as many photos as you can fit on your scanner at once the just save them as you normally would in photoshop. I have only tried it a couple of times but seems to work very well.
Thanks alot! sorry i haven't gotten back sooner, but this project has been on the backburner recently. lots of OT at work. I've been considering the upgrade to CS, so I probably will do this now that I know this feature works pretty well. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 AM

Thumbs up Re: Scanning multiple pictures at once???

AutoSplitter is a specialized tool that will split a scanned image of multiple photos. So yeah, there is a solution for this problem.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow