Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Post Printing Spray Finish

Old 01-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Question Post Printing Spray Finish

I've been reading up on post-printing processes, including using a spray finish, much like using Fix-it spray for charcoal drawings, etc.

Of course, I'm confused by which is better, for what purpose, etc.

I know that you don't need to do any spraying for most photo-prints, but I would like to be able to gift some to friends, and would like them to last.

And, yes, I already know about how some papers / inks can last for 50+ years (been reading the wilhelm research site.).

So, I guess my question(s) are: which do you use? why?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2004, 11:30 PM
I laminate all prints I don't frame behind glass. Check this thread or do a search on RP for laminate. Some interesting reading.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Spray Fixatives

I've been wondering about fixative sprays myself. So far I don't use any, but I'd be curious to find out if others did. From some quick web surfing it seems that those who do spray their prints don't recommend lacquer, but instead just a good UV/Fixative. The main reasons for spraying seems to be to keep the colors from fading, the ink from running, and the image from sticking to the glass or photo album sleeve.

I did some research and found the following links on a few sprays:

PremierArt Print Shield for fine art paper & canvas It offers protection from light, water, moisture, airborne contaminants and even fingerprints.

Print Guard top coat spray (best for photo matte and water color papers) Print Guard is a low odor aerosol spray the protects your prints from moisture and fingerprints. It improves wet fastness and blocks harmful image-fading ultra violet rays. It is fast drying and non-yellowing.

Triangle Bulldog Ultra top coat spray (best for glossy and canvas prints)

Print Finishing Laquers This link show several different types of sprays for various papers.

How to waterproof an INKJET copy

Get a clear fixative spray available at art supply stores or hobby shops. This will keep the water soluble ink from dissolving when it gets wet. Put the copy in a large cardboard box and spray it. This way you won't get it all over the room or office.

The main thing with spraying is to test first, as different papers will yield different results.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow