Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

How do you print your digital image files?

View Poll Results: How do you print your digital image files?
Standard Inkjet (dye based like an HP) 76 34.55%
Archival Inkjet (pigment based like an Epson P2200) 64 29.09%
Dye Sublimation (Fuji Pictography, Kodak 8500) 4 1.82%
Color Laser Printer (Xerox/Tektronix Phaser) 7 3.18%
Large Format Inkjet (Roland, Epson 10000, Lightjet) 12 5.45%
Mini-lab (local professional photo lab) 46 20.91%
In-store Kiosk (Wal-Mart, Wolf Camera, Ritz Camera) 24 10.91%
Something else... 28 12.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2005, 05:21 AM
I use a professional lab
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2005, 04:18 AM
i work in a fuji frontier digital mini-lab (it's fantastic having a whole mini-lab at your disposal!) and i agree with vicki. their prints aren't only exceptional, but also archival. i'm not spruking fuji cause i work with them. i've worked in kodak labs, and have printed by hand with agfa and it's just a personal preference. i think as long as it's RA paper it's probably more durable than ink jet printing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2005, 11:33 AM
I looked at DOTPHOTO.. they're 19 cents a print now. I'd rather just take my photos to Walmart for 19 cents and they'll have them done in an hour. Plus there won't be any shipping charges.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Thumbs down Frontier

I also have a fuji frontier 370 and Chromira 30inch that we use.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 AM
"hmmm" from a former wal-mart lab employee

Frontier automation workflow will always cause colors to be reprocessed. And if you use the Frontier Kiosk, hell no!!; that thing always resamples the resolution in addition to color! The printer is visibly capable of distinguishing between 600/450/300 ppi, but if you like sharp pics NEVER use the kiosk - drop off the CD with your folders laid out like instruction sets. Unless you know how to trick the algorithms, and the lazy bastards actually calibrate that printer on every roll change like they should, well, nevermind, just DON'T.

And as for the DYE SUB.... sigh. first of all, it's poly-plastic, EXACTLY the same stuff used to decorate 2-liter soda bottles, i promise. Secondly, color matching is impossible, and always comes out a little hazy, say goodbye to true black with the DYE SUB. And OH, don't forget the misalignment of the color layers. And the SCRATCHES??? Did you forget the SCRATCHES??? All i gotta say is you get what you pay for, and at 26 cents or LESS?
NNNNNNope. Sorry.

Stick with the Epson R800 or 1800 for home use (if buying new models).
Color matching is a snap (when you understand the workflow).
These printers also use what is basically a clearcoat to eliminate ink/paper layering issues. Oh and not to forget that images are crisper and have a color gamut just as wide as any lab you can find. Archival quality varies, but it's not too hard to find 80-100 year paper, oh and both these printers do ROLLS. What else do you need???

I do finishing work for several studios in my area in addition to servicing their pc's and hardware. Right now the workhorse machine is the Epson4000 "pro-pro". Too bad it can't print lunch!

If you like quality the way i do, and are as picky as me, you'll soon learn that you can't trust anyone else but yourself, just as long as you can understand a little of color theory. Wal-Mart just throws that out the window for the sake of effeciency. Plus they don't pay squat to those who actually know what they are doing and care about what they produce in thier labs. Did you know that CD scanning services (aside from density issues) is capable of scanning 8x14 at 300ppi? AND retouching can be done at the lab! Don't ever let your managers know that you can retouch on their machines, you will become exploited quickly. I'm trying hard not to be biased but as for absolute quality, all i can honestly say is that Wal-Mart is adequate for exposure proofs or just those of us who don't work around pro's all the time. I will never frame anything printed at wal-mart again.

Last edited by chiko321; 08-11-2005 at 06:33 AM. Reason: adding to comment
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi everyone! New person here. I am really happy to have found this forum.

I print a couple of different ways. If I am designing a greeting card; I run my blank card with the *art* I created through my HP Color Laser Printer (HP2550). For photos to look like photos, I use smugmug or lately I have sent a few to Costco on-line and then picked them up at the store.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I bring everything I print to the Photo lab near my place. Their low cost and great service have rendered it useless for me to replace/maintain a good color printer in my home office.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 06:32 AM
At our studio we have the Epson 7600 and use an Onyx rip with Ilford paper. Have had wonderful results. At home I just got the R1800. Fantanstic printer.
In a pinch we sometimes use Costco for quick wedding proofs, otherwise we send our sports stuff to Sports America. Wedding stuff to Burell and everything else we do in house.

ciao Vicki
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2005, 06:41 AM
I'm trying out a professional lab service, just bought first print last night so we'll see how that goes. I'll be trying a different company tonight for the canvas thanks to the nice tips in a different topic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Just letting you know that I got my first print from Mpix. Paper quality was fantastic and I'll tell you this thing was packaged so well it could have made it through pretty much anything but a fire. Not too sure about the color quality compared to others but overall I would say I'd give it a 9 out of 10. The service was quick and they were extremely fast answering one of my questions and there is no minimum order required. I'll let you know how the other ones I try fair.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow