Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Good Scanning Tips and Tutorial link

Old 10-22-2001, 08:28 PM
Now Jeanie, I have to give credit where credit is due. You did come to the rescue with a fine explanation. However my brain takes one look at those numbers and sees a math problem. All of a sudden a red alert is sounded and up goes a wall to stop any further intrusion. I think that's why I tend to skim over that dpi vs size thing. But slowly with patient members on this site and it's managing to seap in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 09:22 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL

What you said is correct, and I knew that. Don't know what I was thinking. I simply had a brain cramp! Thanks for straightening that out.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 09:30 PM
I had a feeling the numbers would only make things worse.

OK, bottom line (without numbers):

When scanning an original image, the dpi does affect the file size (and screen size).

Once you have the digital image, if the actual pixel size of the image remains the same, both the screen size and the file size remain the same regardless of the dpi. However, a change in dpi will change the eventual printed image size (in inches or centimeters - however you choose to measure.)

And if that doesn't help, just ignore this post and my last and go back to the point in time when you did understand.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow