Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Scanning oval picture?

Old 10-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Question Scanning oval picture?

Last week, I retrieve an old oval photo of my great grandparents that dates pre-1918: great grandmother died in 1918. It measures approx. 20.5 inches width by 13.5 inches height, with about 3/4 to 1 inches depth (this measure was taken while photo is lying flat on table; this measure was taken at middle of photo; it gives an idea of the distance between the photo and the table). Is it possible to digitally scan this photo? It would probably be easier to take a 35mm slide, and then digitally scan to repair/retouch smears with Photoshop?

The method use to create this photo was to draw/retouch the individual clothing’s on the photo by using charcoal or other type of crayons. More recently, someone in my large family wanted to clean the surface of dust, but this approach slightly smeared the clothing’s and faces. Luckily, they realize the situation and stop this process.

Hope you can help?

Robert Richard
Eastern Canada.

Last edited by WorrypasCanada; 10-11-2004 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2004, 10:04 AM
I would find someone (may be a portrait studio) who has a digital camera that can produce a file of a size that will meet your needs. Also make sure the person understands lighting of such an object and also depth of field.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow