RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Batch Processing

Old 01-19-2005, 11:18 AM

Location: Northeast Oklahoma, 30 acres of pasture, trees and child rearing space.
Batch Processing

I have a Radio Shack Digital Photo Viewer that uses a CF Memory card. For it to display photos, I have to open every single file in MS PAINT and save it as xxxx0000.jpeg x=letters, 0= numbers.

I use CS 8 and cannot find a batch/automate action to do this. I can number the photos during the scan, but having to open each one seperately in MS PAINT is exteremly time consuming, as Paint will only open one file at a time. JPEG files from other programs will not work in the digital viewer. (I thought jpeg was jpeg the world over).

Does anyone have any shortcuts ar an ATN. to help me out?

Thanks,
Gregory
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2005, 02:51 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I remember someone posting instructions for batch renaming files in a folder, but for the life of me, I can't remember how it was done. Surely, someone will post it again.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2005, 03:03 PM

So are you just trying to rename files?

I can't remember offhand how to do it in ps, except when you're running the batch process, it'll allow you to define how you want the files named. But if you're only trying to rename files, how about these couples of options...

R-NameIt - http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...C5272%2C00.asp - just freeware, with a complicated interface, but very powerful

Better File Rename - http://publicspace.net/windows/BetterFileRename/ - a lovely little explorer addon - just as powerful, and still a good price, with a friendly interface

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you meant!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2005, 09:26 PM

Location: Northeast Oklahoma, 30 acres of pasture, trees and child rearing space.
RE: Batch Processing

Actually, the file names have to be 4 letters or numbers, then 4 numbers,sequential, so the viewer can play them in order. ie: dog00001.jpeg.
I name the files as I scan them.

My problem is, it seems, they must be opened in MS PAINT, and then saved as dog00001.jpeg from that program. No other program will work.

I was under the impression that a jpeg was the same in any editing program, but I have tried using jpeg saves from PS, scanner software, etc, and the viewer wont read them.

I was looking for an action that would emulate MS PAINT in a batch process, since you can only open 1 file at a time in PAINT.

Greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 02:16 AM

I know this won't help you now, but here is a two step method in Windows XP:

1: select all the files (must be in the same folder to work), right click, select rename, type a name (one word) followed by a space then a one in parenthases. This gives you a big list of files like this:
name (1).jpg
name (2).jpg
name (3).jpg
name (4).jpg
name (5).jpg

2: copy these commands into a text file and save it as a batch file in c:\windows\system32:

for /L %%i in (1,1,9) do rename "%1 (%%i).%3" "%2000%%i.%3" & if errorlevel 1 goto end
for /L %%i in (10,1,99) do rename "%1 (%%i).%3" "%200%%i.%3" & if errorlevel 1 goto end
for /L %%i in (100,1,999) do rename "%1 (%%i).%3" "%20%%i.%3" & if errorlevel 1 goto end
for /L %%i in (1000,1,9999) do rename "%1 (%%i).%3" "%2%%i.%3" & if errorlevel 1 goto end
:end

to run it open the command prompt, navigate to the folder the files are in, and type: <batchname> <old file name> <new file name> <extension>
this will rename up to 9999 files. (once you get over 1000 it takes a while, but it is faster than doing it by hand). You will be able to call the batch from any folder on the system.

It's 3:00am so forgive me if i'm speaking techenese.

Michael

Last edited by MBChamberlain; 01-20-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 03:45 AM

Oh I see Greg, sorry, I was on a different wavelength!

I've just looked up the manual for your viewer, and it specifically says in there that the files cannot have been edited in any other software, and if they are you have to use paint to resave them. (Manual here - on the first page - bottom right hand corner http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc72/72974.pdf )

Sorry, but it looks to me like you're stuck! I certainly can't think of any way of automating paint!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2005, 02:52 PM

Rename renaming files

Greg:

There are numereous feature rich file rename utilities available for download on the Net. Many are free, but it's not uncommon for the author to request a donation.

A very popular one is called "The Rename," available here:
http://www.herve-thouzard.com/module...hp?articleid=1

I use "Bulk Rename Utility" available here:
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk

Hope something like this will make your life easier.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2005, 08:12 AM

photoshop renaming

you said you are using ps cs.If so then you can use the rename function in the file browser. Open the file browser. Its the small file with the magnifying glass near the upper left corner of the screen. then browse to the folder with the files that you want to rename.then click on automate and in the drop down click batch rename. Hope this is what you are looking for
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2005, 11:54 AM

Batch Rename

I appreciate all the help. However, I must not be making myself clear.
The files will only work in the viewer if they have been renamed in PAINT.

A batch rename in any other program will not work in the viewer.

Here is the process:

1: edit all the pics w/ps
2: flatten and save as .jpeg
3: open each file, indivdually in paint, rename with a 4 letter + 4 digit
sequential number
4: save

Step 3 is where I need the batch process run at.. The rename and save MUST be done in PAINT.

Paint will only open 1 file at a time. To do this 100 times or more is VERY time consuming. I was hoping someone knew how to run a batch process from PAINT.

I have no idea why a JPEG with the proper name and extension format from Photoshop, a scanner, or any other program will not work in the viewer, but it wont. But, as soon as you open the file in PAINT and save it with the same format, it works.

Link to photo viewer instructions;

http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc72/72974.pdf

Thanks again to all who have replied. This is definately the place to go for help, but this one has me stumped.

Greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 01:48 PM

R.S Video Viewer

Hi GBLOUNT,

I just purchased the Radio Shack Digital Viewer and was having a similar problem.

I have a Kodak digital camera that creates files as xxx_yyyy where xxx is numeric and yyyy is numeric. ex 100_1234.jpg.

I did not have to open the files in MS Paint and then save them. I use an SD type memory card and did have to copy the files to the G:\DCIM\100MEDIA folder. Maybe a CF card is different.

Hope this helps!

jjha
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow