RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Printing on Inkjet Fabric Sheets

Old 03-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Printing on Inkjet Fabric Sheets

I'm not really sure on which forum to post this so please move it if necessary.

A few days ago I came up with a brilliant idea for decorating a tote bag with an heirloom picture and saying. I printed my design on a fusible fabric sheet designed for inkjet printers. I fused it onto the side of a bag and sewed on some trim. It looks really great!

Now, the question--laundering this creation when necessary. The product instructions are to use cold water and, if soiled, to add a small amount of fabric softener to the water. Do not use detergent.

I'll do a little experimenting on my own but I wonder if anyone has suggestions of how to make the ink more permanent. Thanks for any help.

MaryLynn
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 01:09 PM

Inkjet fabric for printing? It sounds like wonderful stuff. Where did you pick it up, etc.? I'd love to try some out.

I've done t-shirts with the t-shirt transfer paper made by HP (cause I can get it at Walmart ). It works well and can be laundered IF I turn the t-shirt inside out, use cold water, and absolutely do not put it in the dryer. The colors remain pretty fast for quite a while. I'm wondering if this inkjet fabric does as well. There is also an inkjet transfer that quilters use; but I've never tried that one. I hear it does a great job and can also be washed.

I know, I know, not the answer you were looking for but maybe someone will be able to chime in with something we can all learn from.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 04:36 PM

Hi Janet, I knew you'd be interested in this!

The inkjet fabric sheets come from two companies. The one I used is from june tailor and the fusible comes in white or cream color. When applied it is stiff which is fine on the side of a canvas tote bag. I went to www.junetailor.com and nearly fell over. Their price was $12.99 for three sheets. JoAnn Fabrics had it for much less and I had a 40% off coupon.

JoAnn also carries the other type which has a paper backing for printing which is peeled off for fusing so the result is a more pliable fabric. It was more expensive but also comes in other textures--silk, canvas, etc. I could see using this on a quilt or garment.

Value of printing on the fabric is that you don't have to reverse the image for printing as you have to do on some of the other application. I've also used the HP product and am much happier with this. I can even put this in the dryer on a low setting.

I'm attaching a photo of my bag. The color isn't quite right but you'll get the idea. I'm still learning all the lighting settings on this new camera.

MaryLynn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tote-bag-copy.jpg (87.2 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 05:43 PM

Lovely result ML. I had an experiment couple of years ago with non-fusible cotton but found the materials too expensive to do anymore. In Australia, we can now get different fabrics easily but still expensive.

http://www.fredtheneedle.com/SearchR...?CategoryID=13
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 05:52 PM

You were right. I am very much interested. I can see all sorts of possibilities; and now my mind is running at full tilt. TY TY TY.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 06:03 PM

I'd also like to know how you would clean this item its very nice, lovely picture, you could possible make loads of them for an event maybe or sell them.

Get creative!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 06:31 PM

Thanks gals for the compliments. Wow, Neve those are fantastic fabrics at that link. I don't know what the exchange rate is for the prices but I can see how it would get very expensive.

The picture is my grandparents about the time of their wedding in 1896. I am offering to do a bag as a door prize for a genealogy seminar this weekend. I'll let the winner give me a picture and saying of their choice and then I'll make the bag.

The next one I make I'll do some printing on the scraps and experiment with laundering. I'll keep you posted.

MaryLynn

When curious, Google! I just found this HP site that shows how to make your own fabric sheets. Very interesting.
http://h30039.www3.hp.com/quilting/a..._on_fabric.asp

Last edited by MaryLynn; 03-02-2005 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Found more information
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 08:05 PM

Hi MaryLynn:

Your idea and results are terrific!

Well done.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 10:09 PM

Thanks Danny. I used the technique to decorate the cover of a book of memoirs, too.

I thought I might make one up that says, "My other tote bag is a grocery sack". Lots of possibilities.

MaryLynn
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow