RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Copyrights on images posted here

Old 10-26-2005, 12:36 PM

Sorry Neb, it was a quick colour job I did for family. It took around an hour in total as I only used 4 base colours. Cpl Hague is my Great X2 granfather .

On the point raise about a group photo, nobody in the photo holds copyrights to an image of themselves. The copyrights belong to the photographer who took the photo. Therefor the problem would be taken up with the photographer who should have a contract with them before taking the image.

We have something like those rules you mention in our schools. It is not for copyrights, it's to do with them being children and not being able to consent to their image being taken. Plus for their security as children against child abusers taking images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 12:50 PM

Thanks Chris I was so unsure about that. As for the children school thing, I'm glad about it but I just didn't know if it went along with the copyright thing. I remember I wanted to post a photo of me once on a parenting board but it was where a few other people were in it with me from an old job. I didn't ever post it because I was afraid that they would sue me for posting their picture somewhere. One of those "you never know" things. So, I'm glad you said that. Kind of makes you wonder where your face could pop up though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 01:05 PM

I still can't get my head around all the ins n outs of copyrights law, as there are so many rules that apply to different media etc. In theory an Image only becomes copyrights free on the 70th year after the death of the photographer. All clients I have, have to sign a disclaimer. This states that they hold the copyrights, or they have the permission of the copyrights holder for me to work on their image. Many people claim copyrights on an image they have worked on, but the way I have been reading it they do not. Because a restored image was created using a photo with copyrights, the restored image retains the copyrights of the original. This is because the restored and original image when taken are one and the same
It's very confusing and a VERY messy law
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 01:15 PM

I know! It's almost as bad as figuring out whether the chicken or the egg came first. The sad thing is, the reason for all these copyrights and laws etc. all stemmed from something negative. And you're right it depends on the type of media, etc. I mean in music people sue because someone else's song "sounds like" theirs. Next people who go see the Eiffel Tower will want to sue other people who took pictures of the Eiffel Tower because it resembles theirs and might be confused with their work blah blah blah. Plus, you know it's not that I mind people using my photos for other things etc. It only becomes disheartening when the intention comes from greed. I think that's what bothers me the most and it's probably only going to get worse.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Chris.

While I understand your annoyance at someone passing your work off as their own (Flattering as it may be).

If I’ve got this right you are talking about your entry into the August Advert Competition. When T Paul posted this picture the reference was to
‘Photo from MorgueFile by bcalhoon’ (It was a Porche car)

The picture is no longer available at MorgueFile. So I can’t find out if the original had copyright.

If it Was copyright by bcalhoon then how can you call it your own?

The work/Idea/background etc may be your work but surely that does not give you copyright to the picture?

If I grab a Royalty Free picture from the Internet and change it somehow can I then call it 100% my copyright? Or is it still a royalty free Photo?

When I used to photograph weddings We used to Stamp all our work as Copyright. But I don’t do this with a restoration as I think the copyright still belongs to the original photographer and I have just repaired it.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 01:43 PM

The image I refer to was the one I used in the background of the contest. It was and still is an image in it's own right. The the post Here gave a link to my original photo, and the retouched version that I later used in the contest. The Image was being used as a free wallpaper on the site it was found on, but had a claim that it was copyrighted by another person.
I had no objections to it's use really, but did object to the false claims.
As it turns out I have got work from what happened, as the webmaster of the site liked the image retouch. But I started this thread to warn others that this type of thing can turn out VERY nasty, if someone decides to act on a copyrights infringement .
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 01:47 PM

ah, the copyright debate. tis not an easy one. and chris, your statement of
Quote:
The copyrights belong to the photographer who took the photo.
isnt necessarily true these days, or at least not when you move over into video images or when you're going to make commercial gain off your images. take the recent trend in television, for instance. more and more you see folk's faces smudged/blocked out that have not given their consent to 'be on television' in some innocuous bit done for humor, let's say. even shows back in the day of the original Candid Camera had to get consent of those they played their tricks on before they could air that piece. and it's gotten even more so these days.

and then there's the other side of the coin. you can freely take a picture of a celebrity and use it for gain because of some clause stating something like 'because you're a public figure you're fair game'. so, it gets weirder and weirder.

and i'm sorry, but just because a picture is posted on the internet does NOT make it public domain. that's just silly nonsense. that would be like saying that Vogue magazine does not own the copyrights to the pictures they put in their magazines. i mean, come on. a picture HAS to be displayed to have any value to anyone. it's the same with music. it has to be played to have any value, but just because it is played doesnt mean it's now public domain. and if you think i'm wrong on this, just ask the RIAA lawyers

the problem actually arises because a few folks abuse the copyrights. we all have violated copyrights at one time or another. the first time you cut a picture out of LIFE magazine for a school project, you were actually violating a copyright. sure, you didnt make any monetary gain and LIFE magazine wasnt about to break down the school doors and haul you to court, but nonetheless, technically, you violated a copyright.

generally speaking, i cant say this is right or legal, but for my own personal purposes, if i'm not re-selling or profiting or keeping someone else from profiting by using, i dont worry too much about it. and that includes piracy and that's why i included the clause about 'keeping someone else from profiting'. pirates may not be re-selling something, but they are certainly cutting into the profits of those that are; maybe not to the extent that the lawyers would have us believe, but nonetheless, if you got it 'for free' then someone just lost some revenue.

i've listened to this debate for years and certainly part of the problem is that the laws have changed, at least here in the U.S. Copyrights have been extended several times now. i forget the current time limit but it actually extends past a person's death now. i can sort of see this and sort of not. to me, the better cut-off date would have been 'till you die, it's yours and then it's public domain'. but, that's just me.

and this has also created a problem for those artists that work almost exclusively on other folk's work. when the copyrights were a much shorter term, a LOT of stuff came into the public domain fairly rapidly. now, there is a shortage. so, those folks who do things like musical arrangements based on someone contemporary dont have that much to work on without a legal contract. well, that's ok, but they sort of got the short end of things when the copyright terms got extended. and it's not a small group that was involved in this sort of thing.

i have thousands of pictures i've collected off the net. i use almost none of them publicly unless i know exactly where they came from and who is and isnt going to be pissed off if i use it. and i always remove anything if anyone asks me to. yes, i'll hack a part of a picture to get a texture or an arm or something of this nature to use in another picture, but it's always of a nature where nobody is going to raise an eyebrow over it and never one where i'm taking money out of someone else's pockets. and just because i'm sort of lazy and sloppy about this, i dont use many of these because i tend to not log where the picture came from, so it's hard to even give credit to where it came from, so i dont use them... much.

most folks arent going to complain if you use something they've posted on the net. it doesnt mean it's legal to do so, but generally if you use a little common sense, give credit where credit is due or point someone to the website where you got it so they can get a little advertising done, then it's usually not a big issue. that however, is NOT what the laws state, so dont try to use the 'Craig' defense in a court of law. you'll lose

it's sometimes an annoyance to have to dig up where you got a particular image, find the person's email, write and send the email, wait for a response and get the permission to use/post the picture (and they may say no), but i'll guarantee it's an even bigger annoyance to have to hire a lawyer, take time off from work to go to court and pay a hefty fine.

the basic rule of thumb here is, if you didnt make it, get permission and get it in writing.

and pierre, i'd be interested in hearing more of this:
Quote:
It seems the law does not let you waive all rights to your work easily. You cannot put something in the public domain by simply declaring it so.
you're saying that if i have a photo, it's mine and i took it originaly and i post it on the net and declare that it's public domain now, that it actually isnt? that just seems whacko.

to me, the simplicity of the law shld be, if you made it, you own it for as long as you live. period. but leave it to the lawyers to hack this up and make it as complex as possible.

i also have mixed feelings on the law about if you alter it more than 15% it's then yours. as a photo hacker, i love it. as a copyright owner, i'm not so sure. i'd rather see it as something like, 'if it's recognizable of the original work, then it's still copyrighted by the original owner'.

but you can see how convoluted all this gets. if people can sue you because you took a photo of them and used it somewhere, somehow, then how long before it becomes if you take a picture of their dog they can sue you if you dont have permission, or if you took a picture of their car, or property. thus, when you went to Yellowstone National Park and took some beautiful scenic shots, you'd have to get a release from a park ranger before you could show your friends. and heaven forbid, literally, if you took a picture of the stars. why, god himself would have you court

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 02:03 PM

Chris.

I understand. You are talking about your Image of Saddleworth Moor.

But can anyone answer my question about using a royalty free Photo and manipulating it. Can I then claim copyright?

PS. I hope you reconsider your decision about the competitions. I enjoy seeing everyone’s work.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 02:20 PM

This article - The 7 Deadly Myths of Internet Copyright - makes for interesting reading on the subject.

Just to be safe......
© 2000 David L. Amkraut - All rights reserved. Permission granted to reproduce this document provided the document is reproduced in its entirety, including the information about the author and his contact information, and this copyright notice. Quotations for review, reportage, etc. are permitted as long as there is proper attribution and full contact information as follows:

"From The 7 Deadly Myths of Internet Copyright,
by Los Angeles Attorney David L. Amkraut

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 02:41 PM

Nice link Ro
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues