RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Copyrights on images posted here

Old 10-26-2005, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the link Ro, but now... see... it says on there up to $150,000 per photo. That's sad. You know why? Because some people die on an operating table in Florida and the families can't even sue for that much and yet someone who sues because someone liked their picture so much they wanted to use it gets a huge load of money. It all falls around greed and as much as I try not to infringe upon this complex sad copyright law I get angered so much at these things. Why? Because I know deep down that copyright laws are only there so people can make an absurd amount of money off of basically nothing. Today the world is way too sue happy. People will eventually get what they deserve by either doing it to themselves or fate. I don't see why on things like this someone would have to make such a large profit. I mean why stop at $150,000? If that's the case... I mean maybe that photo would have brought in millions and now it won't so why not sue for that amount? Just absolutely absurd. I know this debate will go on and on until the day they find away to stick cameras in your eyeballs and forehead and see everything you do and zap you with electricity on the spot for disobeying the law. Uh oh, half the words I just typed were used by someone else somewheres else in the world.... I might be sued

And that concludes my vent for the day.. return tomorrow for another episode of "Twinkissed goes off on a tizzy" LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkissed
"Twinkissed goes off on a tizzy"
Sorry, that phrase is (c) byRo 1957. You now owe me $1 billion, but I'll do a quick settle for a million bucks

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 03:02 PM

i'm sorry, Ro, but since you dont own anything you post here, you are in fact in violation of wrongfully suing and owe doug nelson a rough million

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
and pierre, i'd be interested in hearing more of this: you're saying that if i have a photo, it's mine and i took it originaly and i post it on the net and declare that it's public domain now, that it actually isnt? that just seems whacko.
The way Larry Lessig explains it, waiving your rights is a gift. The law says a gift must be tangibly delivered. This is difficult to achieve in a digital context.
I don't claim this makes sense to me, but it is the opinion of someone who teaches law at Stanford and who created the creative commons license to get around that kind of problem.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
Sorry, that phrase is (c) byRo 1957. You now owe me $1 billion, but I'll do a quick settle for a million bucks

Wait a second, I thought I owned the rights because it contained "my" name and now I believe you owe me a million for simply reading it.

Thanks I needed a great laugh
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 03:37 PM

thanks pierre. sounds like another of those 'let's complicate this way beyond common sense so we can confuse and reap the profits' things.

and TK,

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 03:54 PM

I think maybe this question belongs in your discussion. Anyway, it's something I've wondered about. Some of my paintings on PBase have over a hundred direct links to them. What are these about?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 04:05 PM

If you mean people are hot linking to the images, this isn't really a copyrights problem as such. People are displaying your work via it's original source. It's something you can stop by using an htaccess file within your image folders. If you want more info on this just let me know
Here is a quick idea of what to do:
http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet...ent-hotlinking
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 04:08 PM

very handy Chris... thanks for sharing the link.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2005, 03:40 PM

Chris, it looks sorta complicated. If I do that, can I still link to it from the forums where I post my digital art?

And I've never really understood what they were doing with those hot links. For example, one painting that has like 107 direct links to it is one I did of my granddaughter on her trampoline. I can't think what possible use that could be to anybody besides me and our family.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues