RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Legal guidance, copyright, lawyer, attorney

Old 01-28-2006, 03:14 PM

Legal guidance, copyright, lawyer, attorney

I ran across this site today where I found a lot of interesting information on various topics.

www.PhotoAttorney.com

Unfortunately it is not easy to find specific information, but it is FREE! On the right side (near the bottom) check the Previous and Archives sections.

Important: Read the disclaimer verbiage. This is not a substitute for face-to-face legal advice.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 07:43 AM

For those in the UK, this is a very interesting read http://www.sirimo.co.uk/ukpr.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 09:41 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Thanks for the link, Danny. I didn't get too far into it, but it seems to have some good info.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2006, 07:25 PM

Re: Legal guidance, copyright, lawyer, attorney

I'm glad that you are finding my blog helpful. If you want to search a particular topic, use the Google toolbar in the bottom of the right hand column.

Best,
Carolyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 07:25 AM

The July 7, 2008 podcast of photoshopusertv has a segment on photographers and usage laws on their photos. I found the material to be clear, concise and worth wading through the inane banter that preceded the segment.

http://www.photoshopusertv.com

This segment will only be posted for a week (July 7-July13, 2008), but can be purchased from the site for a nominal fee after the expiration date.

You can also check out Scott Kelby's blog. On it, he has posted the interview with the interview attorney--without the banter.

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/1645

The attorney's name is Ed Greenberg. He is an intellectual property attorney based in New York.

Janet

Last edited by Janet Petty; 07-08-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 11:29 PM

This is a wonderful article. The things given are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 PM

I need to say something about this "not a substitute for legal advice" which is true but I have seen attorneys take the same tack when talking on a subject. Just a thought. There are some good legal books out as well but to be precise in your response to any problem the visit to an attorney is still the best advice. FYI comment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 PM

Newest seminar in Mexico published on Watermarks.

Foliofox.com
Portfolios

Posted: March 7, 2011 | Author: foliofox | Filed under: Photography, 3D Art And Illustration |

"Watermarks: Protecting Your Images, or Damaging Your*Business?"

"
Some points to consider:
1) Watermarking* your images won’t stop people from using them. I went to Mexico for a tequila conference last year, and one of the presenters (who gets paid to fly around the world teaching people about tequila production), gave a lengthy Powerpoint presentation that included 3 of my images, and several that were taken directly from the Getty Images server – complete with watermarks.
2) It’s not very difficult to remove a watermark. If someone really wants to take your image, and they want to spend the time needed to remove it in Photoshop, they probably can. In fact, tools like Adobe’s “Content Aware Fill” may make this process a breeze. If this ever happens to you, having your images registered with the copyright office is the only way to protect yourself.
3) Think about who is going to steal an image, and who is going to pay you for it. Someone with no intention of paying is, most likely, not a representative of a respectable company. These people aren’t your customers anyway. Making it easier for your REAL customers to get excited about your images is probably more important than trying to prevent unwanted usage from a few non-customers.
4) The non-customers can also help you. If you find that someone is using your images on their website without your permission, you can request that the image be removed — OR — better yet, you can ask them to include credit and a link back to your website. Links back to your website are SEO gold. You can never have enough. The more the better. You could even take it one step further and give them the html link codes of your choice – including important keywords that can really help your search engine rankings."

Posted: March 7, 2011 | Author: foliofox | Filed under: Photography, 3D Art And Illustration |
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues