RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Celebrity question

Old 08-03-2006, 05:00 AM

Question Celebrity question

I read that it's not allowed to post images of celebrities here. What are the rules for posting a link to a site (your own) which contains celebrity images (before and after retouching)? I have been doing retouching for some time now, but almost always on celebrities (just for fun, nothing paid) and I'd like to get some feedback on those jobs.

Thanks in advance for the answer!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2006, 05:20 AM

Hi Brian2,

welcome to RP!!

Quote:
What are the rules for posting a link to a site (your own) which contains celebrity images (before and after retouching)?
... Let me ask ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi Brian2,

welcome to RP!!

... Let me ask ...
Great, thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2006, 02:53 PM

Hm, in my own humble opinion I think celebrities don't have any private copyright on their photos as they are "persons of public interest" and hence cannot claim their rights on photos. But what the photographer says is something different. Good question if a picture published on the internet may be retouched or not
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2006, 03:26 PM

ah but then you have to define 'celebrity'. How famous does someone have to be before its OK to completely invade their personal privacy.
And as you say - the copyright likely remains with the photographer not the individual - regardless of their 'public interest'.
Then aswell, different laws apply in different countries - for example in the UK, if you are in a public place then you're fair game for photographers - regardless of celebrity status. (However photographing from a public place into a private place (eg taking pictures from the street into someone's house is not OK)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2006, 03:36 PM

The pictures I retouched are all from photoshoots. There are two of Toni Ferrari (ex-Paradise Hotel contestant) for which she gave me the authority to retouch, would that be considered OK to post?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2006, 03:42 PM

I would say if you have permission to retouch them then they are OK to post (but I'm not a mod) your retouches at least - you should probably ask her (Oand the photographer) for permission to post the originals
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2006, 07:28 PM

Brian...

The site owner/admin, Doug Nelson, has been off line of late. He's among thousands in the U.S. who have experienced lengthy power outages due to the extreme heat this summer -- in fact he moved his family to a temporary location until power is restored to his home neighborhood.

I don't know when he will be logging in again, so it may take a few-to-several days until he is able to reply.

Let me assure you he will reply when he can. This is an issue near and dear to his heart.

Thanks for asking.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2006, 08:06 PM

Talking Actually...

The Photographer who created the image is the only person who can normally give you the right to retouch his/her images. Under US Code - Title 17 (the copyright act), manipulating or displaying someone else's work for commercial purposes without permission is illegal, and punishable by up to $1,500 per incident (on the web, a page view is considered an "incident" - so if 100,000 people hit your page, it's 100,000 different instances - you can see how large the penalties can get). Most countries enforce these rights under the International Trade Agreements they have with the United States.

As for CELEBRITIES must also be given those ancillary rights to alter x celebrity likeness by her/his management, who also controls the use and re-use of her/his likeness.

I'm not saying I agree... but that's the law... as for this site... I'm posting my Deviant and I have Celebrities retouched (without permition) but I'm to lazy to take them down I guess I should have ask here first.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2006, 10:19 PM

Linking

Should RP knowingly link to a webpage that is violating copyright law?

RP may be liable for contributory infringement, since the link encourages the further distribution of the copyrighted images

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues