RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

10 Copyright Myths

Old 07-27-2007, 09:14 AM

10 Copyright Myths

http://blog.sessions.edu/legal-copyr...-can-hurt-you/
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:31 AM

Re: 10 Copyright Myths

Thanks for the link Ant. Alot of good information.
Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2007, 10:19 PM

Excellent link!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2007, 07:25 AM

HI there...
This post reminded me of one thing that happened to me 8-9 months back...
i was hired by Mrs. Audra P. Jackson, a writer that publish books for kids ( http://www.teachmegreek.com ) , to design a book cover for her lates book
"MY DADDY IS A KAPPA", she provide me with the illustration and the logos that i was supposed to use, there wasn't much work to do, just to put all together, and make sure that the offset printing will be 100% perfect, i did my part which included retouch on her photo (used on the back side) added the text, make the colors perfect in CMYK and organize everything, and also i added a free sample with other colors and effects...

for my work i asked 50$ cause i didn't spend more the 60-90 minutes of work, and i agreed to receive the payment when she accept the mookup (i agree on that cause i didn't think that she will be that cheep and not to pay me 50$)...

however, when ei send th mookups, she said like, can u send me a bigger resolution tif and PSD file so i can see better and stuff, i respond i can do that cause u may use the file and not pay me, she respond, but i can't see thing clear on the jpg( which was in pretty good resolution, almost good for printing) and I can't pay u until I'm not satisfied...

i was in very tricky position, to gave her the files and risk not to receive payment, or to gave her that file and get the chance to make good long lasting relation with this new customer...

so i risk it, (if she is cheep for 50$ then better to know that now, then in the future for much higher payments) i gave her the file and never heard from her again. i didn't respond asking my money also, cause i didn't wanted to have anything with this person again...

but as this post reminded me of this , I've checked her site www.teachmegreek.com nad the book is there (MY DADDY IS A KAPPA)...

so I'm wondering can i have some legal rights on this...

Also i forgot to mention, i'm not form the states i leave in Europe...

Regards...

Igor
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2007, 08:31 AM

To find out your legal rights in your country, you would probably need to consult a lawyer. In the future, if you want to send full size proofs, I recommend that you send them in a PDF file that is protected from copying and printing. You can do this directly from Photoshop, if you don't have Acrobat. If someone is asking for tif files, and psd files, that's usually a good clue that they are looking for printer ready files.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.ilievski View Post
HI there...
This post reminded me of one thing that happened to me 8-9 months back...
i was hired by Mrs. Audra P. Jackson, a writer that publish books for kids ( http://www.teachmegreek.com ) , to design a book cover for her lates book
"MY DADDY IS A KAPPA", she provide me with the illustration and the logos that i was supposed to use, there wasn't much work to do, just to put all together, and make sure that the offset printing will be 100% perfect, i did my part which included retouch on her photo (used on the back side) added the text, make the colors perfect in CMYK and organize everything, and also i added a free sample with other colors and effects...

for my work i asked 50$ cause i didn't spend more the 60-90 minutes of work, and i agreed to receive the payment when she accept the mookup (i agree on that cause i didn't think that she will be that cheep and not to pay me 50$)...

however, when ei send th mookups, she said like, can u send me a bigger resolution tif and PSD file so i can see better and stuff, i respond i can do that cause u may use the file and not pay me, she respond, but i can't see thing clear on the jpg( which was in pretty good resolution, almost good for printing) and I can't pay u until I'm not satisfied...

i was in very tricky position, to gave her the files and risk not to receive payment, or to gave her that file and get the chance to make good long lasting relation with this new customer...

so i risk it, (if she is cheep for 50$ then better to know that now, then in the future for much higher payments) i gave her the file and never heard from her again. i didn't respond asking my money also, cause i didn't wanted to have anything with this person again...

but as this post reminded me of this , I've checked her site www.teachmegreek.com nad the book is there (MY DADDY IS A KAPPA)...

so I'm wondering can i have some legal rights on this...

Also i forgot to mention, i'm not form the states i leave in Europe...

Regards...

Igor
I would have watermarked a full res version.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues