RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

And another question regarding digital albums...

Old 08-28-2007, 10:55 AM

And another question regarding digital albums...

I've been requested to create digital album layouts for clients (you know with the nice magazine-style layouts and such). How would copyright fall on these? You would need releases from EVERYONE!

I know in graphic design it is the clients responsibility to secure release for images used in ads, articles, etc. Wouldn't it be the same with this? Would my previously questioned waiver work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 AM
Janitor

Re: And another question regarding digital albums...

Again, have a contract they sign that stipulates that they own or have acquired the legal rights to have you do the specified work. A further (but more controversial) clause might be one where they agree to pay your legal fees should it turn out they are lying and you get sued.

Maybe someone can post an example of such a contract (hopefully one that's been released into the public domain, it would be ironic to violate copyright on a copyright contract).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2007, 06:16 AM

Re: And another question regarding digital albums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
Maybe someone can post an example of such a contract (hopefully one that's been released into the public domain, it would be ironic to violate copyright on a copyright contract).
I would love to know if someone is using this method of protection (LOL, sounds like I'm talking about an STD) or what steps besides waiting 70 years people are taking. I just did a restoration from a crumpled photo that had no face, but I know it was less than 70 years old.

I'm working on an online agreement that one must agree too (electronic signature) before they are able to send me a file/order. It works through formmail so it makes a date stamp and picks up the clients IP address.

Should work the same as my actual written agreement. I use the same one that I use when doing graphic design work. Think of all the ads you see in the yellow pages, newspaper and such. Ad agencies do not bother with CI. If a client supplies the materials, it is on their shoulders. This may be right or wrong, but the three companies I've worked for have never had a special clause in their contracts regarding CI. We also never had issues.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues