RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Who owns the copyright of a retouched file?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Who owns the copyright of a retouched file?

I did some retouching for a client recently and have not yet been paid for my work. This is a client that I know from years in the business so I trusted him and released the hi-resolutions files to him before I was paid. It has been a few months now and I haven't been paid yet. If he hired me to do retouching on his work (I have all his emails to prove that he hired me), do I own any part of the new retouched image or does he still have full copyright? If I have any part of copyright if the new retouched image, I can at least tell him he doesn't have my permission to use the images until I get paid.

Last edited by berko1021; 01-17-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 AM

Who own the copyright of a Retouched image?

I did some retouching for a client recently and have not yet been paid for my work. This is a client that I know from years in the business so I trusted him and released the hi-resolutions files to him before I was paid. It has been a few months now and I haven't been paid yet. If he hired me to do retouching on his work (I have all his emails to prove that he hired me), do I own any part of the new retouched image or does he still have full copyright? If I have any part of copyright if the new retouched image, I can at least tell him he doesn't have my permission to use the images until I get paid.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2008, 10:18 AM

Re: Who own the copyright of a Retouched image?

Sorry Brian. You are out of luck. Your client has rights to it. Or at the least the Photographer if the client was not the client.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2008, 11:00 AM

Berko, It's not necessary to post your message in more than one thread. Most folks around here look for new posts and they will see it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Janitor

Re: Who owns the copyright of a retouched file?

The original copyright holder owns and retains all rights unless there is a formal transfer or release. But whether they use the image or not, they owe you and you can turn them over for collection.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 PM

from what i have been told by another freelancer, unless he gave you a PO(purchase order) you don't really have much legal recourse...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2008, 03:17 PM

Maybe he just forgot about it? I didn't receive payment from this photographer for over two months. I sent him a reminder with the original invoice attached and he paid me the very next day. Send him a reminder first before you start to confront him.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 PM

friend of mine has a discalimer on every invoice, stating an 18% penalty for invoices that are not paid on time....clients hit the roof when he resubmits his freshly updated invoice with penalty fees. but not 1 has never paid him immediately right after getting that new invoice!!!! but he normally drops the fee, making the client seem like they got a break.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2008, 06:00 PM

I do remember reading somewhere, but don't ask me where , that the retouching work is 'your' work, and therefore copyright to you. The 'original' image may well be copyright to your client, but any work that you did is copyright to you. I would contact the client and remind him or her that you have not received payment, if non is forthcoming and you can afford to see a lawyer to find out your rights, then do so. In the meantime, I will try and remember where I read about retouching being copyrighted to the retoucher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 AM

Thanks for all your help. I have sent the invoice many times and he is not answering my calls. It looks like I learned my lesson and will no longer release any hi-res files before being paid. I guess there are clients like that in every business.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues