Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Non-work related copyright

Old 04-29-2002, 12:07 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Non-work related copyright

I think I remember reading something about using images for educational purposes (but maybe not). Some time ago, I saw a photo of two kittens or two puppies on a calendar. The photo carried the copyright symbol. At the time, I thought it would make a good image for use in a tutorial, and I tried to contact the holder of the copyright (without any luck). I did not post the image (or even scan it) because of the copyright. Is it okay to use an image like this for the intended purpose? Do you think it's ethical? I'd be interested in your views on this.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 12:32 PM
Again, as covered in another thread, it would fall under "fair use" here, but possibly not in subsequent re-use by our members.

It would probably be ok to use it for your own purposes, as long as you don't re-sell, re-distribute, or make any money off of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 05:02 PM
I could point you to the relevent documents but suffice to say that sadly even for personal use, you cant use the pictures or reproduce/alter them in any way - sorry

however I wont tell if you wont and you could always chance your arm and put a disclaimer that if anyone finds your work derivative you will replace it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues