RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Working Files

Old 09-27-2008, 11:20 AM

Re: Working Files

Never had someone ask for my .psd, but if they did, I'd give them a 2 layer original and retouched - thats it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2008, 08:19 AM

Hello Viira, that could also work well, then they have a file with the before and after for quick access.

However I would feel a little like I was pulling the wool over their eyes doing that if they were paying for the working files. Could be a good plan for if the client wants the files but is unwilling to pay extra for them though.

Thanks for your comment
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2008, 09:59 AM

Early on, in working with photographers, I provided my working psd files along with tiff finals. Often we would go over the psd workflow, layer by layer, to see the work I had done. This, though time consuming, was benificial. It dramticaly showed the work and methodology. All the work was on layers that could easily be changed should the client want a tweek or two. It also developed trust. The client could see I knew what I was doing. As time went by, we did this less and less. They no longer needed to see the files and work progression. They trusted my judgement. First, they wanted the psd files to keep in their master files. Later, this became less important to them. I had the files and had backups. I always felt these work files were theirs. These were their images, not mine. They had a right to all the work I did I felt. I was being paid for the work and the files. Had I puffed up and insisted on not letting them have the psd files, if they wanted them, they would have dropped me in a NY minute. I have found silly and arrogant the argument that retouchers, in working on the photographers image, now have created a new copyright. I suppose that could be argued and parsed, but I don't feel that way and don't work that way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2008, 10:03 AM

i simplify files all the time for ad agencies to move the main objects around for different layouts and their pop/pos stuff and what not. not only do i not want them to see my recipe....i don't trust giving them complex layeres with lots of adjustment layers and groupings and such. 1 wrong move and the color can be thrown out of wack, and 2 months later they'll be asking why their file doesn't match the proof provided!

that's why i now request 2 advil in every estimate given.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2008, 04:39 PM

ktg222
I too have done this trust building exercise with a few of my clients until they were happy with my working methods. Although I do keep my working files, fair comment by you with regards to the argument you mention. I do agree with you and would never claim rights over an image I have retouched.................but the method I use to retouch that image is mine. Which is why I wouldn't usually release working files.

KR1156
Another good point, I haven't as yet had the problem that you mention, where clients have changed the image. But I can see that it could very well be a possible problem with some clients.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues