RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Working Files

Old 09-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Working Files

Hello Everyone,
Just a quick little question for you. I had a client ask me to provide my working files for them the other day after finishing a job.

I would not normally give them out, and I was just wondering what peoples views were on providing working files to clients, or whether people charge for files or what.

I have always thought that the client is paying you for the retouched finished image and not the files you use to create them. What are peoples thoughts on the matter?

Thanks all

Scoopex
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 12:37 PM

Re: Working Files

if it was after the fact, just simplify the psd file so they can't see what you did..they probably just want to be able to move certain elements around...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 03:12 PM

Fair comment Pixelzombie and thanks for the input. But I know the guy, Ive worked with him before and isn't phoshop literate. I get the feeling that he just wants them so that he feels that he has all the elements for his archive, but surely the psd files are my proof that I have done the work, if ever questioned. what do you think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 03:44 PM

if he isn't PS literate it would be more reason to simplify the files..who's to say he isn't going to give them to someone else..providing working files is always a slippery slope...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 06:07 PM

I agree. Well I shall just have to see how keen on getting the images he is, and if he is going to kick up a stink about it, then I think I will just simplify them down substancially. Many thanks for your comments. Slippery Indeed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2008, 08:49 AM

Clients do not get my working files. Sorry. I may provide PDF or JPEG but never the raw working files.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2008, 10:31 AM

Scoopex,
Depends on what your contract stipulates. Also, working files would = more $$$$$$. Just my thoughts on this.

Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Scoopex:

I never thought of giving my .PSD files to a client, but I recently did work for an interesting American author living in Japan who had Photoshop, but didn't have the time, patience or know-how to do the retouching he wanted.

He asked for the raw files and I included them and factored them in my pricing.

He included a credit for my work in his new publication, and he will have other work for me, so all in-all I made out well.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2008, 04:23 PM

Generally as a policy its best not to give PSD's if you can avoid it. If they insist then its as Pixelzombie says flattened moveable elements - on very complex jobs this can add time, but its worth it, because you dont want your client just stealing your working methods. On a job recently, I was asked to give PSD's, unfortunately the file was so complex that the simplifying process itself took about an hour, deadlines weer a factor so I just gave them the working files. But the reason they asked.. you guessed it, and what do you know .. this week I see their badly executed "version" of my techniques on 48 sheet poster! as a policy don't do it
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 PM

Swampy
Indeed PDF, JPEG or in some cases flattened TIFFs when dealing with large quality files. I agree I would normally only provide these.

Des101
Normally I do stipulate that I don't give out working files, but I must admit I hadn't thought of the potential extra money for releasing the files......in a simplified format.

Ajculter
Factoring in the working files is maybe something I need to start offering clients at the start of a job. That way its discussed and both parties are happy and know what the output will be before the job begins. It would allow me to potentially earn extra cash, which is never a bad thing.

Markzebra
A very good point Mark, I see the files as my work. But I must admit I had not contemplated the possibility of someone learning my working methods for free from my psd file. I will be wary of this if I decide to release them at all.

Thank you each for you comments.

Scoopex
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues