RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Copy Cat

Old 06-26-2009, 08:10 PM

Re: Copy Cat

btw... I don't want to do that - I'd never do that butI got in argument with someone who does and he said is legal because everything has been done before. I said EVEN if it is legal (because i didn't think it was) why would u do it???? do something better!

Anyway, thank u guys - U've made me right again
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 PM

Sweetlight,
How have I misspoken? I did not not say it was a State Statutes, the Statutory damages is in federal court. The original post was about a blatant copy of a copyrighted image, could not be fair use. Any one can sue anyone about anything, they do not even have to be right. U.S. law states that you are entitled to actual or statutory damages for infringement as provided by 17 U.S.C. Chapter 5, specifically section 504. Please don't make a statement that someone has misspoken unless you know what you are talking about. Read 17 U.S.C. Chapter 5, specifically section 504. I have sued an infringer, and won, so I know what I am saying here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 PM

Wow, you are are absolutely right, I have misspoken??? I have no idea what I am speaking off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2009, 05:33 PM

If you copy you must make it BETTER.
That is the rule.
Otherwise, you're looking at possibly 10 years in San Quentin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2009, 03:57 AM

I don't think anyone's going to come chasing after you and bother suing you unless you're using the image for a campaign or something. Who'd bother going to the hassle unless you're seriously infringing upon their trademark. In fashion photography everyone constantly references everyone else. In clothing manufacture everyone's endlessly ripping everyone else. I think the important thing, like cover music, is to make it your own... e.g. 'come as you are' by caetano veloso vs. nirvana. it's like two completely different songs yet on paper it's the same thing. kisses... h
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2009, 08:07 AM

What is going on here? Get this, you can't infringe on another creators work. That means no reproducing, making your own version that is so close that it looks like the original, or in any other way using the original. There are exceptions and they are specific. Go on line to the US copyright site and get that info. If it was your work that someone used without credit or permission you would be ticked off and you do have legal recourse. The whole idea that somehow if you turn your head a certain way or rub your tummy while using some magical incantation it is OK to violate someone else's work is both immoral and illegal.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 AM

i know what the law says about copyright but if you take this thread in context you'll see she's talking about using a fashion image and replicating it. It's never going to be an exact copy, is it? A different model, a different makeup artist etc...

nobody is saying you're going to pass somebody elses work off as your own...

if you take it very literally then yes everybody is infringing on everybody... yes go ahead and sue Sherrie Levine, Richard Prince, Jeff Koons, Steven Meisel, those naughty burglars!!! (some people have tried)

'talent borrows, genius steals' Pablo Picasso...

now what i think Picasso meant is that you take the idea and make it yours... do you think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 AM

Your right and the first note I made, as badly phrased as it was, indicated that. Borrowing other peoples ideas and doing it your unique way has been going on since day one. Buuut, if you can clearly see anothers work in what your doing that could be (I'm not a lawyer) another story. It's just that this conversation drifted to something else and to that my last comment was made.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2009, 10:21 AM

cool i didn't want you to get the idea that I'm shamelessly ripping people off either.

wow these forums can get pretty heated, can't they?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2009, 10:28 AM

Heated..........hay, that's the fun part. Gets the blood going (in the good way) and more ideas grow from that. I'm a Brooklyn boy and heat is when it gets good.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues