Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Copy Cat

Old 07-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Re: Copy Cat

i've seen people SLATING each other hardcore in other forums here... I thought this would be a restrained bunch but it seems not. I just watched a Helmut Newton documentary the other day and he said he used to have massive arguments and falling outs with his printer (his retoucher of the day). He couldn't understand why the guy was so sensitive. He reckoned it was cause the guy never saw daylight. I guess retouchers prob don't see the sun much either. The doc is called 'Frames from the Edge'. Check it out if you get the chance...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Re: Copy Cat

Though this is not part of the "copy" discussion I can give you an answer to your note from my perspective. Coming from Brooklyn NY, I feel this discussion has been not only civil but filled with interesting insights and that is a good thing. Debate is good as long as it comes from a good place. It's OK for some heat as long as it is respectful. As for the sensitivity of retouchers it's like any other time honed skill, people like to take pride in a job well done but what must never be forgotten is we do what we do to the request of the client and their taste buds. The job of any pro is to offer advice to help the client get what they want and do it well. The client wants what they want and so you do it as the service we provide. We smile, say "Thank you." and cash the check. I do not get all that bent when the client insists on what I would call ugly. That is an unwinable contest to have with a client so I and most pros don't have it. So, I say thank you and cash the check and they come back for more.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues