RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Photoshop Projects - scammed?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:44 PM

Photoshop Projects - scammed?

Hello there everyone,

This is my very post here. I can't find much better forums where to post this so I hope I'm in the right place.

Last September 2011, someone emailed me that I was chosen to make a tutorial for them. It's only a promotion of you. So they won't pay you for the tutorial you will make. Without any hesitation, I said yes. I made the tutorial within the week, sent it to her. She thanked me for sending it on time..

According to her email, the said magazine will be sent to me around 4th of January 2012. I patiently wait for 4 months to receive the magazine.. And now it's January 15 and haven't received the magazine yet. I emailed here two times and didn't receive any replies.

So I'm thinking I was scammed or whatsoever. I googled if the magazine is legit, and I saw it is. But I'm still wondering why isn't she replying to my emails? and why I haven't received it yet?

What do you think? Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Janitor

Re: Photoshop Projects - scammed?

The nice thing about magazines is they all have offices associated with them. Give theirs a call.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
The nice thing about magazines is they all have offices associated with them. Give theirs a call.
Thanks for reminding me. I forgot that these magazines have their publishers or whatever it is called.

I searched on facebook and found their page. Citrus media owns them. Gonna contact them soon enough. And I hope they'll reply.

This doesn't end here yet, so if you can help me in some other ways or know about this magazine, I'm patiently waiting for your reply.

Thank you Mr. Doug!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2012, 02:59 AM

You may be jumping the gun a little. There can be all sorts of delays with publications and a couple of weeks, though tiresome for you, is not uncommon. Could be the person you dealt with is on vacation or got sacked! Keep pushing but don't worry unduly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 AM
Patron

I agree with Repairman that you may be being a little impatient . Maybe understandable as I am sure you will want to see yourself in print.

Photoshop Projects is an Australian magazine do you live in Australia? If not this could account for the delay in receiving post. As they seem to be unwilling to pay for your time it is likely that they will also look to cut back on postage costs and use the cheapest method that will take the longest time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

I write tutorials and reviews for Photoshop Projects magazine as well (no pay, except for the glory ;-) ). They publish out of Australia for that specific market. The girl you are referring to is probably Ewa in Poland who coordinates the magazine's submissions from writers.

I am attaching photos I had run on my website awhile back showing examples of my work in this magazine. Just recently at Ewa's request I sent off another tutorial and review.

Because of the publication's location and schedule, it takes a long time to see the results. They have been sending me hard copies in the mail and PDFs when I ask for them. (I haven't received an issue recently and often forget what I turned in...)

Fallman, tell me about your submissions and I will see if I have that issue and will send you images of the pages.

PS: Last time I checked they didn't have a website but I'm glad to see the facebook page.

Here is the actual website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indexad-psmag1.jpg (153.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg indexad-psmag2.jpg (163.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
You may be jumping the gun a little. There can be all sorts of delays with publications and a couple of weeks, though tiresome for you, is not uncommon. Could be the person you dealt with is on vacation or got sacked! Keep pushing but don't worry unduly.
Oh, haven't emailed the said publisher.. good thing I read this. Maybe when February ends and still haven't received it, I might contact the publisher and ask if what happens with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
I agree with Repairman that you may be being a little impatient . Maybe understandable as I am sure you will want to see yourself in print.

Photoshop Projects is an Australian magazine do you live in Australia? If not this could account for the delay in receiving post. As they seem to be unwilling to pay for your time it is likely that they will also look to cut back on postage costs and use the cheapest method that will take the longest time.
Nope. I live in the Philippines. It's quite near on Australia I think you're right. Maybe I'm just too impatient that I've kinda panicked on what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
I write tutorials and reviews for Photoshop Projects magazine as well (no pay, except for the glory ;-) ). They publish out of Australia for that specific market. The girl you are referring to is probably Ewa in Poland who coordinates the magazine's submissions from writers.

Fallman, tell me about your submissions and I will see if I have that issue and will send you images of the pages.

PS: Last time I checked they didn't have a website but I'm glad to see the facebook page.
Ohh! When I searched for Photoshop Projects on Google, I always see your name! Now I know why I always see it. And yes, you are right. The person I'm referring to is Ms. Ewa.

My submission was a tutorial about Vector Art. Thank you for linking their site and some actual photograph of the said magazine.

I went to the site you linked and was very glad to see that the final piece of the said vector art is on the cover! Wohoo!! I can't believe it!! The stress was finally removed from my brain thinking if I was scammed or whatsoever.

So yeah, thank you for all the lovely comments. At least I learned that, sometimes I need to be patient. I never know what may tomorrow brings.

I hope I could interact more with the other members here.
Thank you once again and have a nice day everyone!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Patron

Congratulations! Glad we got this sorted out :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Congratulations! Glad we got this sorted out :-)
Thanks for helping out! By the way I have just one question, how long does it take for them to send the magazine to the contributor? In my case, they said it's Jan. 4 but then, I haven't received it..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Patron

Your best bet is to keep in touch with Ewa and request what you need. I have no idea of the time frame; sometimes I get two issues at once, then nothing for a long time. It seems I'm due another issue though! ;-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues