Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Stock Photos - What to Do in this Situation.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Exclamation Stock Photos - What to Do in this Situation.

I recently acquired some stock imagery from stock photo site

I wanted to use these images as background images for composites such as putting a band in the photo, and manipulating it, then publishing it.

I have read all the legal documents on, but I just don't understand it. I don't understand how a stock photo site can have so many critical rules on their photos, when stock photos are suppose to be bought and used for something such as this. I find using stock images as backgrounds for my work an excellent efficient way to finish my work if I can't travel to an African jungle and get a background shot myself.

If the band were to publish the photo that I did in a magazine.. depositphotos states that I would have to have the copyright information of the backgrounds photographer and depositphotos on there. I also read that I don't have to do that if it is a derivative work.

I haven't gone and published anything yet, but I just wanted some help from knowledgeable people here at RetouchPro to let me know what I need to do, and what I shouldn't do.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Re: Stock Photos - What to Do in this Situation.

Well, I don't know what is confusing in this case, but you figured it out the right way.

If you bought a photo from a stock photo agency and intend to put it in a magazine for example, you should state the copyright owner and the agency which sold you the photo.

If you intend to use it as a background or use a part of the original photograph, then this is considered a derivative work and you do not need to do anything.

That's it, you got it right and in your case it's derivative work and you can do what you are planning to do without any worries.

Regards, Ljupco
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Re: Stock Photos - What to Do in this Situation.

I normally use stock shots for ambiguous details such as grass, trees, skies etc which are then montaged in to new scenes. The images are then used as in-store graphics and posters. So it's easy for me to define the usage. From time to time the ad agency want to use some of these retouched images in the press which is a different ball game and more 'out there' so to speak. I just email the photo library outlining the new scenario and they reply giving me written approval. Everyone is covered. To be honest I can't see a library spending hundreds of pounds chasing a few pounds worth of usage rights for general imaging. If the image was very specific, eg the summit of Everest or surface of the moon where authorship was limited to a handfull of people it would be a different matter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Shoes Question

What are the differences between casual shoes and sports shoes and which are better for daily use?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues