RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Photographers and retouchers input needed.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:26 PM

Cool Photographers and retouchers input needed.

Not sure how I feel about this or how often this happens.

Here are the circumstances. An ad agency in LA was hired to produce a catalog for a large costume company. They outsourced the photography and I was contracted to retouch the full page images and cover shot for the 2014 catalog.

Each image was comprised of several shots plus stock art was also used. Color grading was left to my discretion.

I was surprised to see that the photographer who shot the components has the finished composite images on his website with his copyright information beneath the image.

I totally understand that I don't own the copyright to the images but I feel that displaying the finished images as his work is a misrepresentation.

Attached find one of the images in question.

I'm curious as to peoples opinions of this practice???

Thanks for your input.

update: to clarify the image that was posted on the photographer's website is the composited image that is to the left of the attached image. I also show all assets used to the right of that image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg legAve sailor Assets sm72dpi.jpg (68.2 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Nanls; 05-24-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Clarify the image
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Re: Photographers and retouchers input needed.

In my experience its nothing out of the ordinary. I agree it just seems wrong. Thats just the way it goes - photographer gets credit - retoucher who builds elaborate composites gets little or none.

I am curious to hear other opinions too.
--shift studio.

edit (another thought)
If the client comes back to you again and again, I say let them have the glory.

Last edited by shift studio; 05-23-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2014, 03:46 PM

It seems weird for a photographer to use a breakdown like that, especially if some of the shots were stock licensed from other photographers. Wouldn't you still use the cover in your own portfolio?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2014, 02:08 AM

It's a shame you weren't credited with the composition especially as it's unusual for photographers to feature component parts not assembled by themselves. However, if they get any work off the back of your efforts then maybe you'll benefit too. Why not use the sample on your own website and give a small credit noting the photographers input. If he complains, citing ownership, you can remove it - it's easier to beg forgiveness than permission in these cases! I try not to be too precious about my work: what the client pays for is theirs and so long as they keep coming back I'm happy. Cool image Nanis, that looks like it was a fun project.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2014, 11:27 AM

I agree - yes, featuring composite images that contains stock photographic elements in their portfolio is out of the norm for self-respecting photographers I'd say.

I still maintain that even if a composite image contains 100 separately shot elements (excluding stock) and the overall look is 90% the retoucher's craft and skill, photographers still consider it their work. And I believe by law thats true (I'm not an expert on that though).

-shift studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Talking Re: Photographers and retouchers input needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
It's a shame you weren't credited with the composition especially as it's unusual for photographers to feature component parts not assembled by themselves. .
Hi all and thanks l for your remarks

Miscommunication: Actually, the photographer posted the finished composited image. I posted the finished image (left) and the assets I used to show what went into the shot. You can see he only contributed two of the components; the talent and the aluminum covered board that I fashioned the wing out of yet he took credit for the final piece.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post

I still maintain that even if a composite image contains 100 separately shot elements (excluding stock) and the overall look is 90% the retoucher's craft and skill, photographers still consider it their work. And I believe by law thats true (I'm not an expert on that though).

-shift studio.
I believe that depends if it is "work for hire." The actual owner of the images, I believe, is the company who paid the agency for the image. They may have a limited rights on the image that expires in x many years though. My understanding from what a another photographer, who is my client , told me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
Cool image Nanls, that looks like it was a fun project.
Thanks Repairman, It was a lot of fun, and a great addition to my portfolio. You can see some of the finished images here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/1381...E-2014-CATALOG

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
It seems weird for a photographer to use a breakdown like that, especially if some of the shots were stock licensed from other photographers. Wouldn't you still use the cover in your own portfolio?
I use the images on my portfolio, just was wondering if this was a common practice of photographers. Anybody who looks at their portfolio and see they have a copyright on the image would, I believe, assume they did 100% of the work that went into the image. It think it is misleading at the very least.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues