RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Copyright Ethics

Old 01-03-2003, 10:10 PM

Copyright Ethics

When you are restoring a picture that has a copyright signature, or any signature for that matter, do you try to preserve the signature? Should you put your signature on any image that you restore whether it had a signature originally or not?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2003, 10:42 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Kevin,

First of all, if there is a copyright, you should contact the owner of the copyright for permission to work on the image. If you have made an honest effort to contact them, but you've run into a dead end, I think it's then a matter of conscience (although there are laws governing this). I would never put my signature on a restoration that I did. But if you feel that your signature is important, it should be very clear that the signature refers strictly to restoration work, and nothing more. The customer should give their okay for this if you wanted to do it (otherwise, you might have problems). Keep your standards high for quality and ethics, and you can't go wrong. Of course this is only my opinion.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2003, 11:22 PM

If it was a restoration I was doing as a job, I would preserve the original signature. If it was a family photo that I was just doing as a gift or something of the like, it would depend on the circumstance. If it was a photo art print that I had done etc. then I probably would, but again it depends what type of work, whether there was anything originally there, if so what condition it was in (if it was impossible to read what was there, then I might take it out if i couldn't find any way to restore it)

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 12:49 AM

If the image was copyrighted, I would ask permission from the person holding the copyright if I could restore the picture. But then the question arises; If a customer asked you to restore the picture that he owns but is copyrighted to another person, should you contact the person holding the copyright or is the customer asking you to restore the picture enough of a permission to restore that image?
But I wouldn't put my signature on a copyrighted image.

Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 08:42 AM

If the customer does not hold the copyright, his permission is not enough, legally. The idea behind the whole copyright issue is that it was enacted to keep others from copying their work, thereby lessening their chances for income. In most cases, the holder of the copyright will grant permission (unless it is a recent copyright), but they might attach a small charge, which could then be passed on to the customer.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 09:42 AM

Thanks for your input guys. This subject came up recently when I restored a 50 year old picture originally done by Oiln Mills. I didn't make any attempt to contact them because the owner of the picture , my wife, requested the restoration. I preserved the original Olin Mills signature and the copies I printed contained the signature. I assume that the owner of the image has the right to request the restoration? It's very thought provoking.

The other reason I was thinking about this is I want to display some of my work on the internet. I don't want my work to end up being borrowed by someone else. I wonder if I could include a signature like "Restored By ..." on my restoration work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 12:06 PM

Kevin,

We've talked about this issue before on this site. If I'm not mistaken, Jak had a restoration request from someone who owned the picture, but it had a copyright by a portrait studio. She was able to contact them, and they waived the copyright for a small fee. The problem does not lie in the restoration, but in the fact that you need to copy it in order to do the restoration. Common sense indicates that a copyrighted picture will no longer bring revenue to the person holding the copyright (in most cases) after a certain length of time, so many holders of the copyright will allow the restoration to be done with no charge, while others might make a small charge for the privelege. Come to think of it, it might have been Olin Mills that Jak dealt with.

Regarding the signature on your work, I think it might be a good idea to use it on the web site for the reasons you described. But I don't think it's a good idea to put it on the hard copy for the client. Again, just my opinion.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 12:42 PM

Thanks for your input Ed. Your opinion means a lot to me. I was thinking along those lines. I have not and will not sign a picture that I didn't create. I believe that I will put a small "Restored By .." on the images I display on the web. That shouldn't give any impression that I was the creator.

I don't think I'ill run into the problem of restoring a signed image too often, or at least I hope I don't.

Thanks again Ed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2003, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBE
Thanks for your input Ed. I believe that I will put a small "Restored By .." on the images I display on the web.
You're welcome Kevin. With a note like that on your images, people probably won't want to use your images.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2003, 12:15 AM

The PHOTOGRAPHER retains the copywrite on the photo reguardless of weather or not there is a signature on the photo.

This is a very touchy subject with photographers, as they retain the right unless they specifically sign them away.

I have had to contact Owen Mills on several occations to get a copywrite release, they are easy to work with.

As a photo restorer, I will NOT work on any piece that has a copywrite on it unless the owner of the photo signs a release that states that they tried to contact the copywrite owner for permission. Releasing me from any and all legal problems that may arise. This covers me in the event that the original photographer is still around.

HTH

Paul
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues