Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Issues Copyright, releases, likeness rights, licenses, etc.
NOT a replacement for professional council

Old 06-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Hi Guys!

There's some great stuff addressed here and some real concerns. Copyright is an important issue. But can someone try to address my concern directly which is this. I take a "digital" picture and apply my copyright info to it in Photoshop. I've copyrighted it, right? It's on my website, someone else downloads it and runs it thru their copyright stamp. At some point I discover this other person is using my pic for personal gain. How would I PROVE Copyright infringement in court? I have a copyrighted pic and the other person has a copyrighted pic. I have no other backup other than the pic I took and copyrighted.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2004, 10:57 PM
This is from that rights ofr artists site:
"So how do I legally copyright my work?

In the United States, applying for registered copyright is done through the U.S. Copyright Office.

The actual registration process can take up to 8 months to complete. Be patient.

You can find all the forms online for download at the U.S. Copyright Office Forms page.

Be sure to send your copyright forms and materials by registered or certified mail and requested a return receipt from the post office.

The basic filing fee per registration is $30.00. "

From what I gather from above and from other info on the rights for artists link up there a ways, legally you would have a big fight and no guarantee unless you actually have it officially copyrighted. But seriously though if you have not already you should ckeck out that site. They even have sample letters and stuff that you can send to someone who is stealing your stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Would anyone really go thru this process to copyright a picture. It doesn't even have to be that great but you still want your rights protected.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2004, 12:25 AM
As with so many things it comes down to how much you are willing to spend on defending your copyright.

If someone is using your image on the web, normally a letter to their ISP will take care of things.

If it is being published somewhere in "real" mediums, you can always show that you have the original file (normally people that snag pictures alter them in some way).

The unfortunate reality within Photoshop is that including your copyright information in a file isn't going to do much against someone bent on stealing images.

One little trick I have, is somewhere in each of the images I display on the web, I put a little "tag" in the picture where it isn't noticeable. That way if I ever have to show proof, I can reference that tag (in my case, it is a little tiny Nomi hidden somewhere normally).

For web, I keep things as low rez as possible DPI wise, and make sure that any pictures I am concerned about have a watermark across them.

Now if you do have a collection of photos, the copyright office does make an exception and will normally allow you to submit a collection as one copyright (so you don't pay per image).

In the end, is it going to keep someone from stealing my work if they want it badly enough? Unfortunately probably not. But my theory is if someone is passing my work off as their own, and then is asked to do the same process they'll be found out.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the digital medium All those ones and zeros are just too easy to duplicate.

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Just a couple of fine points as I interpret them.
-- In the US, the issue Susan refers to is known as 'Work for Hire' and can be applied by agreement between artist and client before work begins. It also applies to individuals, like a photographers, shooting on their employer's time. The employer owns the rights, not the shooter.
-- The copyright symbol is basically a point for argument in court, anybody can apply one to a print or a digital image file. What you have to do, if you wish to pursue an infringement in court, is build your case before you need it. Shoot multiple similar (preferrably not identical) shots and keep them on file with you original so you can show that you indeed have the original set of photos, A thief won't have that and your arguement becomes very convincing... not always possible but, you can invent strategies to have more information than the picture stealer.

Originally Posted by Noelf
Welcome to the wonderful world of the digital medium All those ones and zeros are just too easy to duplicate.

- Noel
Haven't you heard? Bill Gates filed copyright on ones and zeros...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Digimarc… The Great Illusion

Hi All!

It seems that a number of people really believed that watermarking will solve their copyright problems in a rather prestigious way. Today I post to say: it is a real illusion. I have been provoked by some postings about Digimarc plug-in that ships with Photoshop. After a number of trials I could arrive at a standard procedure that will turn watermarking into a useless illusion. I have corresponded with a couple of Digimarc employees, who show a strange attitude, by trying to convince me that what I've discovered is normal and they expect it!

To prove that watermarking is nothing but a superficial luxury feature, I have put THREE watermarks in the same picture. It wasn't done by chance. Take a look here:

Right-click the picture and save it on your computer. Open it with Photoshop:

1- The initial resolution is 72 DPI. Filter>Digimarc>Read Watermark (you'll get year 1950).

2- Resample by Image>Image Size>150 DPI (Bicubic). Filter>Digimarc>Read Watermark (you'll get year 1985)!!

3- Resample by Image>Image Size>200 DPI (Bicubic). Filter>Digimarc>Read Watermark (you'll get year 2000)!!!!

Mohamed Al-Dabbagh
Senior Graphic Designer
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Since we are talking with folks from all over the globe, that means that you need to talk to your government to find out what you have to do in your country. In the US, one can copyright a number of images at one time, so a lot of folks are filling a CD with their images and copyrighting all of them for the $30 fee.

I am a photography studio owner and the way we are combating the customers that want to buy one 8x10 of their portrait and then copy that and produce all the other sizes they need, is to change the way we price for our work. Gone are the days that we charged a very minimal fee for the sitting and then charged a lot for the prints. We now charge a very high sitting fee and a minimal fee for the prints. Most of our customers realize that our print prices are so low and of such quaility that it is not worth the time and trouble for them to try and copy them.

In todays world with people copying movies, music, books etc, the idea that they will respect your rights is not to be believed.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Smile Re: Copyright

I had a hard time finding this web but it was worth the look. I have searched and search for the answer to a question and no one could givevme an answer. But Noel did! The guestion was; I have just finished a novel to send to the publisher, but i had some old photos that were copies or digital and I wanted to put them in the novel. They were made back in the early 1900. They are of mountain people who are kin to me by my grandmother. Now sometimes mountain folks can be a little touch'e about their ancesters,and I don't want to get in a fight. Can I put those photos and not walk up in the middle of the night wondering about a law suit? Cataloochee
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Legal Issues