RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > LucisArt Support Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LucisArt Support Forum Official support forum for LucisArt and LucisPro

Lucis PRO - Where can I find a comprehensive tutorial?

Old 09-16-2006, 06:40 PM

Lucis PRO - Where can I find a comprehensive tutorial?

Hi,

I've struggled with the Tutorial (PRO) that is on the Lucis web site. It is probably well written, provided you have a degree in Computer Engineering. But since I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I need down-to-earth, step by step instructions on how to get things done.

So - I was wondering if there is nice, simply worded "Lucis For Dummies" kind of tutorial anwhere out there?

Thanks,

Skippy2
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 08:54 PM

For those with Lucis experience, what exactly is the difference between the Pro version and the Art version? I read the discription, but I'd like to hear from the users? The price difference is significant and I was wondering what one gets for the extra $300. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog
I was wondering what one gets for the extra $300. Thanks.
Skydog,

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out too.

I mean the Lucis web site sez that the PRO version gives your much more control. Okay. Fine. But how? That's why I'm looking for a better tutorial than the one they offer on their web site.

Regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 06:14 PM

Doug Nelson, our site owner/admin, confirmed Barb from LucisArt, receives e-mail notification of threads started in this forum. It may take a day or so for her to get "replying to RetouchPRO threads" plugged into her workflow, so be patient...

Your question of elaboratin on differences between the Pro vs. vanilla editions is a good one. I, too, look forward to reading her response.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Janitor

Until Barbara checks in, here is a comparison chart for the two versions, and here is the user's guide for Lucis Pro.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 07:14 PM

Doug...thanks ...I've seen that, but I really don't know what that is telling me...all I see is the bottom line: $300 more. I did break down and bought the art versions, which I like and use, but I only use the scupture option and have found no use for the other four. I sometimes question the money I've already spend for this one function, but I do use it and like it so I'm okay...but when I see the price for the Pro I wonder what one is really getting. How much better can a photo be? Also can one upgrade from Art to pro for the difference? Does anyone out there own the Pro version?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 06:54 AM

Hi everyone. There is information on the web sites about LucisArt verses Lucis Pro. Lucis Pro has a manual and Users Guide for Artistic Effects. LucisArt has usgae tips. There is a comparison chart. I will see what I can do about adding more information. Please note that there is a scientific section for Lucis Pro and an artistic one. The artistic one is the one to look at for photography. Go to www.lucispro.com and click on artistic applications. Lucis Pro was originally developed for scientists.
Pro offers full access to image content using 2 sliders. One slider reveals detail and one smoothes the image. Each slider can be moved in increments of 2 intensity levels which is 125 settings each for a typical 8-bit image. Plus Lucis Pro allows you to alter the grayscale information of each RGB layer seperately. That allows you to do amazing things. The Pro version has a mix user interface that lets you add or subtract any two images. The Pro version always creates a new image- it does not write over the original. The Pro has batch processing, image scaling, image rotaion, etc. It is stand alone software so you don't have to own Photoshop or Elements.
LucisArt is a Photoshop plug-in. LucisArt was developed using presets developed from Lucis Pro. So anything LucisArt can do Lucis Pro can do and then some. There are image examples on both sites so you can also see.
Typically professional photographers buy LucisArt because they want to stay within Photoshop. High-end amateurs or people who want to win contests buy Lucis Pro. Scientists also buy the Pro.
Please feel free to call to discuss your application to see which product would be best for you. US- 866- RING-ICT. 508-346-3491.
Skydog- please take a look at the usage tips and the customer image examples for LucisArt. I think you might not be using LucisArt correctly. The photographers I speak wth tell me that they end up using LucisArt, even if it just the first button in the effect Exposure, on most of their images. In the 7.5 years I have been selling LucisArt only 5 people have ever returned it.
If you own LucisArt and want to buy Lucis Pro right now I offer 15% off, a savings of $74. Just call or e-mail sales@imagecontent.com to get the discount before you use the online store.
Thanks for the questions.
Best regards
Barbara

Last edited by ImageContent; 09-18-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 11:06 AM

Experiment...experiment...experiment. And what works beautifully on one image won't work at all on the next one you try.

Pick an image, run thru several of the settings on it. If you hit something you like write it down. May or may not work on the next image, as I say, but sometimes it will.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 02:04 PM

Hi Barbara:

You said, "High-end amateurs or people who want to win contests buy Lucis Pro. Scientists also buy the Pro." I guess that explains a lot.

I am not a scientist nor am I a person "who want(s) to win contests". (<-- joke)

Seriously, I thank you for your post. It really did make one thing evident though, and that is, I am a slow learner when it comes to anything remotely related to numbers. I graduated after four years at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, then spent 20 years in Chicago as a TV commercial Art Director, producer and film director. The only thing that ever flummoxed me was when dealing with mathmatical stuff. That's what scared me about Lucis Pro, I think. The constant reference to Small cursor and Big Cursor numbers and stuff like, "Each slider can be moved in increments of 2 intensity levels which is 125 settings each for a typical 8-bit image"

I will continue trying to stay in the learning curve of Lucis Pro.

I will also continue trying to study and understand the .pdf users guide. As Steve Conway says, "Experiment, experiment, experiment."

Thanks,

Skippy2
(aka Don Schaaf)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Thumbs down Re: Is there a comprehensive PRO tutorial?

Lucis Art is one of my favorite plug-ins, and generates cool and unique results quickly (see here for some of my work with it, as well as my ezines, where I have Lucis Art-related tutorials and examples).

There are several ways to work with Lucis Art:

•Choose from among the different style presets (Klimpt, Sculpture, Plaid, etc.) as appropriate for your image
•Adjust the intensity and opacity of each filter's result, including blending back the original image
•Add duplicated layers to your image and apply different Lucis effects to each, using blend modes to control the interaction between/among the layers

I'm attaching a sneak preview from the cover tutorial in my upcoming Plugs 'N Pixels ezine (issue #7). The first step to creating the final cover image was to apply Lucis Art's Sculpture filter to the original image of the window (shown at left). Notice how a number of things happened: The shadows popped open, the image gained overall sharpness, and a nice vintage grain effect was added.

(After this I did several other treatments, not shown here, which you will read about in the tutorial).

Also attached is another example of Sculpture with a separate vignette on the hanging flowers (now I have a nice colored pencil sketch), and Klimpt (high in sugar content!) on the vintage cars (next post).

In many cases, Lucis Art/Sculpture works like Photoshop's Shadow/Highlight feature, but adds a lot more detail in both shadows and highlights (almost as if you lightly outlined every edge in pencil).

Barbara mentioned a discount on Lucis Pro; using the "plugsnpixels" coupon code will get you a 15% discount on it as well as Lucis Art. I first bought Lucis Art a few years ago and it was well worth it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luciswindow.jpg (90.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg lucishangingflowers.jpg (88.7 KB, 132 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > LucisArt Support Forum