RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > LucisArt Support Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LucisArt Support Forum Official support forum for LucisArt and LucisPro

LucisArt classic plug-in discontinuation: heads-up

Old 04-15-2008, 11:41 PM

Re: LucisArt classic plug-in discontinuation: head

I bought the plug-in in summer 2006. At that time, when asking the developer a few questions, via email prior to my purchase, I remember her remarking that the plug-in was a well-guarded secret among some photographers and she wished the secret would get out ( not verbatim). Looks like her wish has come true. I do use the plug-in, however, end up masking the effect (especially in skin) adjusting Hue/Sat and adding additional adjustment layers to get the final effect. It is a great tool, but not a magic wand... but what is?
~Nancy

www.PhotoArt123.com

BTW: Although I would love all of you to hit one of my sites (please do) just for ranking, many of you who understand the value of SEO realize the value of a non-reciprocal link to A 7/10 PR site; retouchpro.com. All of the resources here and invaluable help (both solicited and non-solicited alike... from talent and lurkers alike, lol) and sometimes just helping makes you feel good (and now you're saying - OMG she is such a girl; you who think that: SHUT UP) "Plus" the advantage of a non-reciprocal link to your site should give you a reason to become a "Patron" to this site. SO JUST DO IT AND CONTRIBUTE!!! Help keep this site funded. Whatever your reasons for being here; it benefits you to help. Just my 2 cents.

www.PhotoArt123.com

Last edited by Nanls; 04-16-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2008, 02:55 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Updated information just released by the developer:

1) The old LucisArt user interface will not be included in LucisArt Pro. The new user interface is easier to use than the current version of LucisArt. While the approach to accomplish the various effects is a little different, LucisArt Pro can do everything the current LucisArt can do (and more).

2) The Mac version of LucisArt Pro will only run on Intel-based Macs, while the Windows version will run on Windows XP service pack 3 and Windows Vista service pack 1.

3) Both the Windows and Mac versions of LucisArt will require Photoshop CS3 or Photoshop Elements 6.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2008, 04:41 AM
Patron

The sale deadline for LucisArt classic has been extended to May 9, 3pm EST (due to heavy traffic at the developer's website).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM

For those of you who own Lucis Art...if you don't have it...download and SAVE a copy of the file and your access code. If you happen to have a computer crash it looks like you will not get support.
I'm begining to wonder if this is more about marketing and price vs improved technology. I'm not aware of any other plugn at this price.
Plugnpixels...have you become an paid agent of the developer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Patron

ICT (the developer of LucisArt) is one of about 32 developers that help support my website (covering hosting and registration as well as time/labor expenses), keeping site access free, without need for visitor registration and absent of Google ads and the like. Nevertheless, I actually bought my copy of LucisArt because I really like what it does ;-).

I spoke with the developer about my concerns over the new LucisArt Pro pricing scheme (which is not actually entirely new, because Lucis Pro has cost nearly as much all these years–$495, IIRC), and between her needing to recoup steep development costs and considering her professional/commercial target audience who consider Lucis effects a valuable selling tool, the price is what it is.

LucisArt Pro will be the first time this level of technology has been included in a plug-in version. The Windows-only Lucis Pro had advanced specs but was standalone-only. LucisArt and its presets/buttons was derived from Lucis Pro (a "lite" version if you will). LucisArt Pro also introduces a 16-bit workflow, Windows Vista, Intel Mac and cross-platform Photoshop CS3 support, a larger preview (etc.), all for the first time, so I would call it "improved technology".

The upcoming challenge I described elsewhere (pitting LucisArt Pro against Photoshop and other third-party plug-ins) is intended to help determine whether the cost is justified, so it should be an interesting exercise.

Last edited by plugsnpixels; 05-10-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
For those of you who own Lucis Art...if you don't have it...download and SAVE a copy of the file and your access code. If you happen to have a computer crash it looks like you will not get support.
I'm begining to wonder if this is more about marketing and price vs improved technology. I'm not aware of any other plugn at this price.
Plugnpixels...have you become an paid agent of the developer?
I think that I read that this site had a financial connection, however small. The discount shows that. NAPP obviously has a similar relationship.

When I had questions about Lucis Art, Plugsnpixels was pretty straight forward about things with me. It was great to get a response to my questions, because Barbara at Lucis never seemed to answer emails. Having said that, when I called her, She was forthcoming and helpful and after the info from Plugnpixels and Barbara's resonse, I bought Lucis Art.

And based on what I can predict, I will buy the new Pro version (Intel based for Mac). I have to admit though, that the companies non human "persona" seems "Dickensian"
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Patron

Hi Don, I think what you're seeing with Barbara is a sole-proprietor running her business singlehandedly (and I think she's involved with other ventures besides developing LucisArt), and sometimes it gets to be too much for one person. That would explain the delayed email responses, but phone support is conducted during scheduled times.

But this particular time period is one of transition for her (ending sales of LucisArt/Lucis Pro and developing LucisArt Pro, with a needed vacation thrown in), so she is going to prefer email-based correspondence beginning at the end of this month.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Hi Don, I think what you're seeing with Barbara is a sole-proprietor running her business singlehandedly (and I think she's involved with other ventures besides developing LucisArt), and sometimes it gets to be too much for one person. That would explain the delayed email responses, but phone support is conducted during scheduled times.

But this particular time period is one of transition for her (ending sales of LucisArt/Lucis Pro and developing LucisArt Pro, with a needed vacation thrown in), so she is going to prefer email-based correspondence beginning at the end of this month.
Yes, I am looking forward to the new product and I hope that those more creative types here, might contribute a good tutorial to the Forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 11:54 PM

Is there any way to find the now discontinued version of Lucis Art for a Mac? Is any vendor still selling it?

And I'm also wondering if the old version will work on an older Mac running 10.5.2 on a PowerPC G4 platform.

Excuse the ignorance in a few of these questions. I'm hoping some of you pros will take the time to help a relative newbie.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Patron

Hi Stephen,

The only authorized seller has discontinued sales, but if you had that version, yes, it would run under PS CS3 in Leopard 10.5.2 on a PowerPC G4, no problem. That's how I run it at home.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > LucisArt Support Forum