Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > LucisArt Support Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LucisArt Support Forum Official support forum for LucisArt and LucisPro

LucisArt classic plug-in discontinuation: heads-up

Old 06-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Re: LucisArt classic plug-in discontinuation: head

THANK YOU for the fast reply.

Too bad it is so sad!

I have the machinery, but no where to access the software.

Always a day late and a dollar short, I guess.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 PM

I am a professional photographer, but I think the new price is too much for a plug-in. I do have the older version and have been deeply disappointed with the lack of tutorials and how to information available. I just found this site, so perhaps that will help. However, I will continue to use the old version until the price comes down. I do like the effects and relative ease. That is almost as much as the whole version of Photoshop or Painter X. Since you must have Photoshop in order to use Lucisart, to make a plug-in almost the same price as the program is a bit much. Or how about offering a special price for people who already have Lucisart? An upgrade amount?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 PM

I doubt that you will see a price reduction. As I understand it, the program was made for its main market, the medical technology industry and it is also being used in forensics. If that primary segment of a market will pay the price, there is not much chance of a price reduction.

My understanding is that there may be a small ($70 or so) discount available to those upgrading to the new full version if their original purchase came within some time frame. Plugsnpixels maybe able to add to this.

I would love to see our segment of the market begin to contribute to a tutorial to raise the level of "use effectiveness" of the photographic community, but not much has been published from what I have seen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2008, 12:04 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Last I heard from the developer, new LucisArt Pro customers and those who purchased any LucisArt product before January 1, 2007 will be eligible for a $60 discount when using the "plugsnpixels" discount code. I believe there will also be a discount (direct from the developer) of a similar amount for currently registered users who purchased after January 1, 2007 who upgrade.

These discounts are separate and do not overlap/cannot be combined.

I also understand Lucis Pro 6 will be offered in the near future. That is the standalone version of LucisArt Pro.

Once development of the upcoming versions advances, I plan on creating some useful tutorials explaining the new Lucis software.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 04:23 AM
Patron

Word is just out that the new name for the upgrade will be "Lucis Pro 6.0".
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
ICT (the developer of LucisArt) is one of about 32 developers that help support my website (covering hosting and registration as well as time/labor expenses), keeping site access free, without need for visitor registration and absent of Google ads and the like. Nevertheless, I actually bought my copy of LucisArt because I really like what it does ;-).

I spoke with the developer about my concerns over the new LucisArt Pro pricing scheme (which is not actually entirely new, because Lucis Pro has cost nearly as much all these years–$495, IIRC), and between her needing to recoup steep development costs and considering her professional/commercial target audience who consider Lucis effects a valuable selling tool, the price is what it is.

LucisArt Pro will be the first time this level of technology has been included in a plug-in version. The Windows-only Lucis Pro had advanced specs but was standalone-only. LucisArt and its presets/buttons was derived from Lucis Pro (a "lite" version if you will). LucisArt Pro also introduces a 16-bit workflow, Windows Vista, Intel Mac and cross-platform Photoshop CS3 support, a larger preview (etc.), all for the first time, so I would call it "improved technology".

The upcoming challenge I described elsewhere (pitting LucisArt Pro against Photoshop and other third-party plug-ins) is intended to help determine whether the cost is justified, so it should be an interesting exercise.
Many users develop a usable formula that really helps sell more portraits and other images. But since there are no clear cut published suggestions for use, it is generally a time consuming process.

Once those formulas are achieved, there is a natural resistance to "hang on" and not share since it was "hard earned. That really goes aginst the spirit of these kinds of sites, but like LucisArt, "it is what it is"!

If it sells well in its new form, perhaps a small group like this can start out sharing 1 to 1 and then spread knowledge to the greater community as trust is built that "many minds trump an individual one".
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2008, 02:40 PM

I bet the price drops when no one buys it or piracy gets a hold of it.

How many Medical imagers are there out there anyway?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Patron

Don, my goal is to fill the void and get some Lucis Pro tutorials going once I get ahold of the final release. Perhaps some artists in the past have wished to keep their LucisArt technique secret to protect print sales, but that's their decision. We don't need to maintain that approach here.

smak, details are forthcoming, but piracy is going to be made quite a bit harder... And it's not the medical imagers who are the main audience (though Lucis is great for revealing detail in X-rays), but portrait/wedding studios. And fine artists, I would think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 08:56 PM

I received this email today...just thought I'd pass it on....

Well I am back. This is the first Image Content Technology (ICT) News Email. You have been sent this email because you either asked to join the ICT Email list or you bought ICT software. Please accept my apologies if you do not wish to receive ICT news. There are links at the end of this email to remove your name from the distribution list so you will not be bothered again.

This e-mail will be short. More news will be e-mailed later this week.

Thank you:
ICT has been in business over 11.5 years. I started by selling the Windows Lucis software. The I sold LucisArt for over 7.5 years. Most of you are ICT customers. I just want to take this opportunity to thank you. My installed base of customers is not large. So I have spoken with many of you and had some great conversations. Your support has not only kept me in business, it has made me very happy in my work. I especially love seeing the great art that you create using LucisArt. You inspire me. Thank you.

I apologize for these frustrating times.
I have stopped selling LucisArt yet I have not started selling the new software yet. So this is a difficult and frustrating time. Everything is taking me so much longer than I had originally planned. The new web pages are not up yet. I know you have a lot of questions. The new software is very powerful so I am developing a lot of web content- processed images and usage tips. I am making this new web site as easy to navigate as possible. Given my workload it is hard for me to respond to phone calls and emails with questions about the new software. So I am asking for your help. Please wait a little longer for the new web site. It will answer all your questions. Plus now that I have this email service I will communicate with you more.

Name change for the new plug-in software.
I am not going to be calling the new Adobe Photoshop Plug-in software LucisArt Pro. I will be calling it Lucis Pro 6.0. The new plug-in software fully implements the Lucis algorithm. Therefore it is more similar to Lucis Pro 5.0 than it is to LucisArt. LucisArt was implemented with just a handful of presets developed from Lucis Pro 5.0. You will be surprised to see how much more Lucis Pro 6.0 can do than LucisArt. Plus Lucis Pro 6.0 will be as easy to use as LucisArt. (I find Lucis Pro 6.0 to be easier to use than LucisArt. But you have to get used to the new user interface. I will post a User's Guide that shows you how to get the old LucisArt effects using the new Lucis Pro 6.0.)

Schedule so far:
- Post new www.lucispro.com web site and e-commerce site by 8/1/2008.
- Beta Lucis Pro 6.0 software will be available the last week of July.
- Hold a Pre-release sale of Lucis Pro 6.0 from 8/11 to 8/17. $50 savings if you buy Lucis Pro 6.0 that week.
- Start shipping Lucis Pro 6.0 software 8/18.

I will email you if there are changes to this schedule.

Lucis Pro 6.0 computer requirements:

Macintosh: An Intel Macintosh computer with Adobe Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.

Windows: A Windows XP or Vista computer with Adobe Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Photoshop Elements 6. However the Windows version may work on earlier versions of Photoshop and Elements. That remains to be tested.

Cross platform: Lucis Pro 6.0 will run on both an Intel Macintosh computer or a Windows XP or Vista computer so you will be able to switch platforms as you need to.

That is all for now. I will send another news update later this week.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 10:13 PM

Barbara is good people. And she works hard to ensure a quality product that gets good results. Its a shame that she is solo with this (aside from the engineers of course) but she has ensured that the plugin has gotten excellent accolades because of all her hard work. I wish the newer version a lot of success. If it is anything like the previous pro version, that will only be the case despite the high price tag.

Chris
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > LucisArt Support Forum