Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Poor Jimmy

Old 05-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Unhappy Poor Jimmy

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice for this image I've been working on from Kartin's book. I've gotten this far following the steps (first edition page 140). However, Katrin doesn't explain how she obtained the smooth look shown in figure 7.32 after all the cloning was done. Right now my image looks like the one in figure 7.30. It looks like I've given poor Jimmy a skin graft (and a bad one at that).

I tried blurring the cloned layer a bit but that didn't seem to help much. Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimmyeek.jpg (98.9 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Amanda, I was trying to see what the problem was but I have the 2nd Edition of Katrin's book!

Could you maybe post the original and the steps you have taken so far? This may help us figure out what direction to take! I'm sure someone here can help.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2005, 05:53 PM
The book does oversimplify it. You're on the right track, though. You essentially have an undercoat. Now continue adding new layers, cloning finer and finer, borrowing bits from here and there. Don't be shy about doing other things besides cloning, such as burning, dodging, local blurring, etc. You can even copy and paste bits (some will need reversing, such as eyes and ears). Don't get discouraged, there's a lot of art involved, and that comes with practice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks Doug. I will spend some more time with it. At least I'm on the right track.
There is definitely art involved here.

Franny, I posted the original image. There is a higher quality version available on her book's website at Go to the links under "First Edition" then chapter 7. When I have some more time I will describe how I got this far. Time for bed now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimmybefore.jpg (98.4 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2005, 09:49 AM
hi Amanda, I've had a play with the original you posted. It's a bit of a rush job, so there's quite a bit that needs resolving still, but ...

I first duplicated the picture, then created a blank layer above it (I always clone on a seperate layer). Roughly cloned out much of the obvious damage.

Created layer set to colour mode, and painted correct colour into stained areas.

Created merged layer and applied polaroid dust and scratches filter to it.
Copied and pasted left ear, reflected and moved to cover right ear, adjusted using free transform. Same with right eye.

Loose selection round bright facial areas, feather about 5 pix, adjust levels to darken highlit area.

Another clone layer. Set clone tool opacity to abou 20%, and clone over hard edges on boys face.

Finally new levels adjustment layer, and adjust for lighting.

hope this helps a little.

Oops sorry, merged the top clone layer with Merged layer before applying levels, so its not on layer stack posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimmy.jpg (86.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (16.8 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks for your input Gary! I'm going to spend some time on it tonight. Will post an update when it's finished.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources