RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Non-RetouchPRO Resources Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning outside of RP.

Where to get bad photos?

Old 05-17-2005, 05:30 AM

Where to get bad photos?

Hm, I don't know if this is the right forum, please forgive me

I am about to start a portfolio about my retouching skills. The problem is: I have done retouching jobs for clients, but I don't want to use those photos for obvious reasons. Don't want to have a bunch of people with hay-forks at the front door for showing off their pictures

So my question is: Can somebody tell me where to find high-resolution BAD images on the web? Y'know, bad lighting conditions, severe color cast and so on. And maybe ugly people I could improve a little

Thanks in advance

Patrick
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Patron

Source of Bad Photos

Well this is the place. Go to the challanges section and look at the original photos for each challange. I believe you will find most of them "Challenging."
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2005, 05:42 PM

Heh heh.....Have a look around my site!

Seriously though...there are some good images to work on here on a very regular basis. Look around and I'm sure you'll see something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2005, 10:59 PM

i used to use the google image search also. in fact, i still do for some things. just pick a word, pick 'image' for the search criteria and hit enter. depending on the word, you'll get all sorts of images to play with. older relatives are also often a good source for older pics to work on. my mother has pictures going back to before photography

K.

Last edited by Craig Walters; 09-16-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 09:38 AM

Check out antique stores and flea markets. I have collected a number of photographs this way.

A couple of things to keep in mind, first you can pick them up cheap because they are damaged and second you have an original to compare to the retouched print.

This isn't going to make any difference if your clients are via internet but if you deal with people in person it can be a selling point. It also allows them to see the difference they can expect in the surface quality of the print (resin coated vs. the fiber base original so they aren't surprised when it looks like a new print).

Just my thoughts,

Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Janitor

Check out our archives here, as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2005, 11:44 PM

Hey Patrick,

Not sure of the legalities involved, but if you want a lot of bad images, just visit places like MySpace.com and Netfriendships.com and grab images. Not sure what sort of retouching/restoration you are doing but these images are good for glamour retouching practice. I have also been practicing on images I have found from various Plastic Surgery sites for things like noses, chins, cellulite etc. I just use the before images.

I don't think you could use these for your actual portfolio, since I am sure copyright would be infringed, but they are good sources for practice images.

If you are looking to do glamour, basic color correction work, image manipulation etc., I know a lot of independent bands and artists would love to have some retouching work done for free and in exchange you could use those images in your portfolio. If you want a listing of some sites where you can get in touch with Indie artists, just PM me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbluvva
Hey Patrick,

Not sure of the legalities involved, but if you want a lot of bad images, just visit places like MySpace.com and Netfriendships.com and grab images.
Sadly both sites are blocked. (I live in middle East)
Manju
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 01:56 AM

Manju,

Sorry to hear that they are blocked. Do all of your ISP's there block what they think may be "questionable" content? The sites are those "friendship, networking, dating" type sites and some of the pictures can be errrr, emmm... 'questionable'! LOL

That's a real bummer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 02:49 PM

OK, not bad photos...

But if you want to show off your talents of taking a pretty good photo and turning it into a "Wow", this (http://gal.mvc.ru/, people, +/- page 50) is a good place.

You`ll recognize quite a few of them!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Non-RetouchPRO Resources